Digital Camera Recommendations

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

Digital Camera Recommendations

Post by Gene-C »

Time to buy a new digital camera. I'd like some recommendations on a simple, somewhat bullet proof camera. Would like at least 4.0MP and some zoom. Nothing fancy, just good and reasonably priced. Prefer one that uses SD card since we already have those. So what are you ya'll using. Thanks, BTW, HP NEED NOT APPLY!!!!!!!!!! My experience has been about the same as D. Pauli's experience with his new beetle. :x
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Just keep in mind that no digital camera is even remotely bullit proof. I have an older Nikon that still works great. Made the mistake of putting it on top of something while at the beach. Before you knew it, it fell into the sand. Got a grain into the gears, and it stopped working. I thought, Hey... it's still under warranty. So I sent it back, only to find that sand voids the warranty :cry: . $180.00 later, I had my camera back. Now I'm extremely careful with it (Does dropping it off the back of the buggy once count? :eek: Well, it WAS still in the case...). :laugh1:
Gene-C

Digital Camera

Post by Gene-C »

I have been using a Kodak Easyshare CX7430 it's a good camera for all of the outdoor runs and all, just keep it from getting dust in it. I had one and didn't take good care of it. ( keeping in a case when not using it) It got dirty and would not clean up with compressed air. Took it in and the repair bill was more than the cost of another camera. Bought a new one and it works great. all the photos of the club runs, posted. I have 2 -128 MG SD cards which gives me unlimited # of photos. I use lithium AA batteries, that way if I need to change, no recharging, just replace and keep shooting. It's a 4.0 mega pixels, with a 3x zoom, with audio/video capability. Got it @ Wal-Mart for a very reasonable price. :2cents: Jimbo
fubar

Post by fubar »

I use one of those Sony things that takes the 3.5" discs mainly because I am computer retarded. I never had any luck with the "data hose" getting the photos from the camera to computer. This way is pretty basic. I think the newer style uses a mini cd/dvd rom that fits into the cupholder on the front of the computer motor.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

As part of my IT function, I've purchased a few cameras for the worker bees. We have one of the Sony Mavicas that has the 3" CD burner built in. Our graphic artist uses that and it's worked out well, but I wouldn't recommend it for something to toss in the backpack and head on out. Too expensive and too fragile and not everyone carries the blank CD's. What I've been buying lately are the Nikon CoolPix series. Two years ago, I bought about 6 of the CoolPix 2100's and they have held up well. The only problem was a poorly designed power switch that liked to catch on the carrying case as it was put away. I have 2 of those with the remains of the switch dangling by wire. Camera is still good, but pretty much unusable. Last year I handed out about 4 of the CoolPix 2200. Resigned power switch and uses the SD style storage cards instead of the CF style on the 2100. No complaints so far. It's basically point, shoot, and download and less than $200 on the internet. I bought a few of chargers and a handful or two of AA NiMH batteries to keep everyone charged up. A year later, no complaints. YMMV. I would guess the 2200 has already been replaced by a newer model. Good luck!
90volts

re

Post by 90volts »

I use an Olympus stylus 300 all weather. It is stainless steel and is built with gaskets to seal the individual parts from moisture, sand, etc. 3X optical zoom and some digital zoom which i never use..its a couple years old so theres probably a newer version now. Its a 3.2 MP and i only use the small memory that came with it. I'll take some pics then download them to the laptop right away which i take most places anyway.its a rechargable batter. so if i let it die i am out of luck because it win't take AAs.other wise, its been a great camera. cost $230 couple years ago. But.... I still prefer my old canon EOS 35mm to any digital! :D
MickeyUSA

Post by MickeyUSA »

Yellermanx (Chuck), you need to hurry and pick/buy one, bugjam is coming up quickly. I'll have my Minolta 35mm there (get digital copies when I get the film developed). Looking forward to meeting everyone.
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Being in many ways a Luddite and in need of a digital camera, I asked for the modern equivalent of a Kodak Box Brownie, when I recently bought one. I told them that I am a "happy snaps, point and click" photographer, that I didn't want all of the bells and whistles; just a good quality, basic, simple, fool proof camera. They knew exactly what I wanted. I bought a Pentax Optio S45 which has 3x optical zoom, 4.0 mega pixels and 5.8mm to 17.4mm. It has AA batteries for ease of purchase of emergency reserves, fits into the palm of my hand and gives good pictures that I can play with on the computer. With a carry case, a battery charger, a wrist strap, a neck strap and a bigger storage chip it cost about $300. I understand how fragile they are so when I go bush I will take my old film camera as a back up.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Thanks for all the replies. It gives me some more investigating to do. Keep em coming. Thanks
tgodber

Post by tgodber »

We bought an HP camera and printer from Costco for $199 a year and half ago. Camera works great. I have taken lots of pictures with it. 3.3 MP and 5x zoom. It came with a 32mb secure digital card. It has been fine for us. I am a point and click picture taker. We may buy a larger memory card for holidays. It certainly is not the latest and greatest technology, for that you need to cough up more Pesos.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I just bought a Kodak 6490 4.0 meg 10x + 3x dig continus movie about 80 mins on a 1 g card takes sd card. I paid $194 total off Ebay, then another 30 + - on lens and filters. I now have 4 dig cameras this one is great, but it won,t be going to the sandunes. I'am looking for a smaller camera pocket size. Kodak just sent me a notice on there p700, which is like a dx 6490. There at 299 off the kodak site. Check out Stevesfourms for camera information