Dellorto DRLA 2 barrell carb adjustment Question

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Mvovr

Dellorto DRLA 2 barrell carb adjustment Question

Post by Mvovr »

Guys, I have been tweaking the carb mixture adjustments all day with not much result. I am planning on rebuilding it with new jets as well. Right now it has the stock 40's in it. I have found the following information http://www.racecar.co.uk/dellorto/carcarburettors/drla.htm regarding the carb however any experienced insight would be welcome prior to my rebuild. I am getting ready to order my kit and was wondering about going up to 45?s on the jets? Also If anyone knows mixture adjustment turn settings for the carb please let me know. :help:
fubar

Post by fubar »

If you are going to rebuild it anyway, you may not want to re jet it until you are certain it is working properly. One tiny bit of goo in the low speed-idle circut can make it run really bad. You may end up chasing your tail if there is more than one issue with it.
tpinthepack

Venturi size makes a big difference

Post by tpinthepack »

I like smaller venturis in these carburators. They are stamped the metric size on the inside. You need to start a list to jet, and set a delorto. Take it apart for the rebuild. Document all the specs, and start tuning. These carbs can be tuned in three stages. idle, full throttle, and acceleration. Also, I would recomend not touching the carb at all, until the compression, and ingnition are fully tuned. Also, if this is a Dellorto single dual throat carb. I use about 65 idle jets. Tony
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

Compression was checked right after I bought it by a local mechanic. Also all the electronics (coil, cap, plugs, wires ect...) on the motor are new and the timing is set. I am looking at the carb mainly because the previous owner told me before I bought it that he wanted to replace the carb or rebuild it. The mechanic I had look the motor over felt it was definalty ready for a rebuild. The Buggy runs well and has good power but its a bit rough at idle. Great information guys. Thank you.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

be careful with those carbs! I also have a set I wanted to rebuild an I couldn't find a rebuild kit for the life of me! I even called the people who first started importing dellorto's into the USA and everyone told me that they don't make them any more. So before you go tearing into your carbs check around and see if you can find any replacement parts.
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

Funny you mention that. I am having trouble finding the correct kit as well. I emailed Deorto themselves and they told me they do not make the kit anymore that I would have to get it aftermarket. I am thinking its time for a new carb!!! OH TWIST MY ARM!!!!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="Mvovr"] I am thinking its time for a new carb!!! OH TWIST MY ARM!!!![/QUOTE] You're not thinking straight, It's time for a couple new carbs!!! :D
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Have you tried CB Perfomance for the rebuild kits? http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=516
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

Thanks man. Darnit just as I got my mind set on a new// no wait// 2 new carbs. :cry: Now I have to make the decision.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

if your having trouble with them idling. Check for wear on the carb body at the throttle shaft, causing excess air (lean) at idle and a poor Idle . You may need to get them rebushed. I believe RIMCO does them for $40 per carb. :cool:
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

I actually have it running pretty smooth now without the rebuild. It took a few hours of tweaking and testing. Only thing I can not find info for is which adjustment is air and which is fuel? Looking at the carb from the back of the buggy am I correct in noteing the left adjustment (drivers side USA) is air and the right is fuel?