a measurement needed.

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
shaky

a measurement needed.

Post by shaky »

:help: I want the measurement from the centre of the end of the rear torsion bar to the centre of the rear hub spindle. The more contributions from members the better. What I'm not looking for is a lot of offerings on how VW suspension works etc. which is what I got on a UK forum when I posted this thread. Some of their ideas are way off and only a single measurement. How else can I put it, I already know a lot about VW suspension without wishing to sound arrogant. What I want is: --ins or --mm. Is there anything wrong with asking for info in this way, am I missing something? regds shaky
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Rear hub spindle? You mean the center of the torsion to the rear axle centerline? If so, 415mm. Have you seen this drawing? Image
shaky

Post by shaky »

see that wasn't difficult was it. Many thanks Uncle Bob, it is very useful. I would like some folks to go out and measure their vehicles if they have time as well.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

The measurements are going to vary a little because of wear and alignment.
shaky

Post by shaky »

That's exactly why I would like as many as possible.
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

I just measured mine. Approximately 16.5 inches.
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

41 centimetres on both sides measured along the long axis of the pan. I have replaced the torsion tube rubbers, bearings and seals on the axles, so there is no undesirable movement in the assembly. I have an IRS rear end. The measurement from the end of the axle to the end of the torsion bar tube in a straight line is 42.5 centimetres on both sides. I hope that this helps. I am intruiged as to why you need this information from many of us. Please eventually enlighten us. :confused:
shaky

Post by shaky »

Thanks guys and keep up the good work. There is nothing sinister or underhand, even exciting about it. I will post the results (providing we get over two results) right here for all to pick over, criticise or generally ignore. Thanks again shaky I did say on the UK forum that I was going to sell the results on Ebay [FONT=Arial Black]because[/FONT] the only replies I got were people saying that they wouldn't give me a measurement. Paranoid or what!
shaky

Post by shaky »

Just to make sure we are all measuring the same thing here is a photo. I know that it isn't that easy on a swing axle, maybe use a set square?
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Mine were approximately 16.5 inches. Its an approximation because I have a swingaxle and the ends of my torsion bars are covered by caps. Really the only way to get an accurate measurement would be to level the trailing arm and remove the torsion cap and rear wheel and drop plumb lines to the floor. If I was concerned about the adjustment of my rear axles, it would really be easier and much more accurate to take it to a shop and have a 4 wheel alignment done. Adjustment of rear toe in is why the spring plates have slots rather than holes. I've never had my wheels aligned so I have no idea whether my rear wheels are toed in or toed out. I believe they're supposed to be either neutral or toed in, so that might mean the proper distance should be toward the shorter end of the adjustment range. However, you definitely don't set toe in by measuring from the wheel center to the torsion bar center. Do you know whether the center to center length of a swingarm springplate and an IRS A-Arm are the same? Are you concerned with manufacturing variations in suspension components or wheel alignment adjustments?
shaky

Post by shaky »

I believe that the swing arm and IRS are the same measurment but am always up to be corerected. I just want a whole bunch of measurements, (which I believe will be quite similar) so that I can get a good average figure. I always set my toe in using thin string tied around the both rear wheels and run forward to the front wheels.
shaky

Post by shaky »

ttt...
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Hey Paul, how did California go? Have you seen this thread on the vzi forum...it's kinda turned into a Buggy message board in its own right, 19 pages and counting!!! :laugh1: http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread ... ge=1&pp=10
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
shaky

Post by shaky »

It was great. Bruce and winnie were so accommodating, we hit it off straight away. I even cancelled my prepaid hotel in La Jolla on the last night to stay on with them. Trouble is... I feel the need to go back and do some more, the folks I met were soooo friendly.