cleaning up spilt resin

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
joemama

cleaning up spilt resin

Post by joemama »

So today I bought a quart of fiberglass resin, and when I got home discovered the cap (which is under a plastic lid that houses the tube of hardener), was loose enough to leak unto the carpet of my year old pickup truck. I scooped out and scraped off as much as I could, and tried to soak up as much as I ccould with paper towels, but now I need to somehow dilute it, scrub it off. I am afraid to try acetone or lacquer thinner in fear of melting the carpet. Several years ago I remember buying a water based product that would clean tools used with resin, but dont see anything like that anymore. Any ideas or suggestions? Man, everytime I get in the truck, I get high, the smell is pretty bad.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I don't have any good suggestions, but these are some I found via google: Permatex Paint and resin remover Epoxy Resin Handcleaner Resin Cleanup Safe Strip
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Acatone is the only thing I know of that wiill do the job, but it might melt the carpet. We used it to clean glassing equipment and to thin out gellcoat. GOOD LUCK
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Acetone is best, I work with fibreglass, and have used it to mop up gel coat off our leather armchairs :eek: also it to get resin off my jeans etc etc, Just try some where it wont show first, like under the seats. There is a resin remover for cleaning your hands (non solvent based) you can get this stuff from most fibreglass suppliers.
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

I use what is called General Purpose Lacquer Thinner. It contains about 70% w/v toluene and about 40% w/v methyl ethyl ketone. I have never had problems with getting either raw resin or hardening resin to clean up. To get it off my hands I need to wash them in full strength detergent. It has never affected any of my equipment or any cloths that I have used. If it works on your carpet, then wash them with full strength detergent to finish off. Be careful. It may not affect the fabric but it could disolve any adhesives used to hold the carpet in place. :2cents: :D