altnator conversion question

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

altnator conversion question

Post by Gene-C »

Hello all Im converting a gen to alt and im a bit confused, on my old regulator there are 3 wires, 1 b+ going in and two coming out that went to the gererator one of which was grounded to the side of the regulator, I do know that the b+ goes to the batt terminal on the alt, but its the spade terminal im confused about, the D+ wire went to the ground on the side of the reg and then to the gen, does this mean to ground the spade term on the alt? I have no charge light or anything just a voltage, charging guage. Thanks in advance for all your help
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

This should do it. http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/gen_alt.htm p.s. You'll need to install an idiot light.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

thanks uncle bob that is very helpful, so i guess ill have to put a light in the dash and run a wire from d+ to it and then ground the other side of new idiot light?
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Actually, you run the other side of the warning light to ignition. You want the light to come on when you turn the key to ignition. Might as well add that oil-pressure light too, if you don't hav one already. Image
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

accually i have guages, a green wire going to the oil pressure sending unit and a blue wure just hanging around, so if i tap into the green that will serve the same purpose? oil pressure guage works fine,
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

If that green wire is 'ignition' then yes, it will work fine.