Did anyone see Monster Garage last night?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
fubar

Did anyone see Monster Garage last night?

Post by fubar »

Last night on Monster garage they built a VW dragster. It was pretty cool, he drove it on the street and got multiple tickets for not having any insurance, title, plates,etc. There were some FG buggies in there too.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Yep, I've been waiting to see it. Thought it was pretty good. What's wrong with yellow? :confused:
fubar

Post by fubar »

Yellow is my first collor choice...Personal like or dislike I guess. I thought it was kind of funny that the motor siezed on the first try with all that tallent and money tossed at it..
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Did they ever say who built the engine originally?
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Probably censored it out when it turned out to seize on them!!! What a shame, you donate a $10,000 engine for publicity only to have it turn against you! One thing, I did not notice that the engine had an oil cooler sticking up inside the fan shroud. Was it my immagination? I understand it's only for short skits but still pounding on that motor with lots of boost is asking for trouble to begin with! Anyone know if it re-runs? I can Divx it next time it runs. Thanks
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
MickeyUSA

Post by MickeyUSA »

There is a write up on this in October 05 Dune Buggies and Hot VWs if anyone cares.
fubar

Post by fubar »

The guy that built the motor was on the show. ( maybe just dropping it off) I thought it was interesting how they cut the torsion tubes and lowered the whole wish bone on the chassis. I did not see if the used shorter torsion bars? or coil springs?
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

[QUOTE="Yellermanx"]Yep, I've been waiting to see it. Thought it was pretty good. What's wrong with yellow? :confused:[/QUOTE] You have nothing to worry about...he never said anything about "yeller" buggys.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="newmanx59"]You have nothing to worry about...he never said anything about "yeller" buggys.[/QUOTE] Thanks Jerry I feel better now. :rock:
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

[QUOTE="Yellermanx"]Did they ever say who built the engine originally?[/QUOTE] The guy that built the motor originally, was Shawn Moore. I guess he's a young SoCal VW Guru. From what I have been told, the problem was caused by a mismachined bearing journal, something that would have normally been caught but was missed because of time constraints.