Suspension questions for the knowledgable ones!

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

Suspension questions for the knowledgable ones!

Post by Gene-C »

Ok everyone follow me on this. My buggy has always sat funny. I run 31's in back and a 205/70/15 in front. The 31's are a taller tire, but the front off the buggy is higher up, about an inch than the back. Doesn't make sense. The arms on the front of my buggy sit at about a / 45 degree angle. Most buggies I've seen sit at about - flat or a little angle in the front. Since the front sits so high I decided to raise the rear swing arms this weekend to level out the car. This wasn't to hard of a process. I just went up one notch on the torsion arm. The lower end of the swing arm was at the top of the bottom bolt hole for the cover. One notch put it at the bottom of the lower bolt hole. This raised the buggies rear about 1 1/2 to two inches. I don't know if this had already been done before by a previous owner or if it was at stock height. Now the tires sit / like this when not in motion but they do level out when I start driving. Is this ok or bad? Why is the front at such an angle? The beam and torsion arms, not control arms came off of my beetle, and they sat level on the beetle. Not on the buggy! Just thought I'd get some opinions from everyone else! Thanks...
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

[QUOTE="qwerty12#"] This raised the buggies rear about 1 1/2 to two inches. Now the tires sit / like this when not in motion but they do level out when I start driving. Is this ok or bad? .[/QUOTE] You must mean / (positive camber). This: / is negative camber. A little bit of positive camber / when unladen is perfect. As for your front end, you can weld in adjusters or use lowered spindles if you want to drop it a bit. I've heard of removing a few leaves but have never tried it. The beetle was much heavier in the front of course.
jspbtown

Post by jspbtown »

I have installed avis style adjusters and they went in very easily. No real "cutting" of the torsion tubes, but rather elongated the grub screw holes.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

You hint in your post that it is a swing axle, but, I can't tell for sure. Either way if you got your rear toe in off when you had it apart the rear wheels can fight each other and try to come together at the bottom or try to pull apart as it rolls. Either one of these will cause the rear camber to change depending on how the buggy is sitting or rolling. Check to be sure you got the spring plate and the trailing arm or swing axle back in relation to each other where they were before you took it apart. :2cents:
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

As far as your front end being higher. This is from your other post it appears that the rear of your body may have some sag. Maybe it isn't your suspension at all maybe it's the body. One more thing. Is your chassis possibly bent upward in the rear?