Opinion On Front Tires

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
MickeyUSA

Opinion On Front Tires

Post by MickeyUSA »

Has anyone switch from a Wide to Skinny or Skinny to Wide front tires. And which do you prefer? My buggy will see 99% street time. I currently have a set of 3 1/2 Centerlines but I also like the look of the wide (6-7 in) fronts. Basically asking what effect is on the steering response and such. Would like to drive this thing not fight it.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I'm more of a "wide" guy as long as they don't stick out. Judging from the majority of pics I see "wide" doesn't cause any excessive grief and it should actually handle and stop better than skinnys. I'm sure some one with actual experience will post soon.
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

My opinion, after trying both wides and skinnies: WIDE Pro: Stops Better, Handles on street a bit better. Con: Slightly more difficult to 3-point turn. 'Pushes' while turning in sand. Decreased turning radius, (depending on offset). SKINNY: Pro: Easier to turn on street, Makes steering in deep sand possible. Tight turning radius. Con: Locks up easier while braking hard. With that said, I'd choose the width that you think looks better on your buggy. The CONS of both aren't enough to justify a decision. I run 165's on a 4" wheel in the front.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Just for clarification purposes...What is the smallest tire that is considered to be a "wide tire"? I'm running 195-60r15 on 6" wide wheels on the front of my Manx. The offset is such there are no problems with them rubbing on tight turns. They don't like stopping on wet pavement or on dry, if you are hard on the brakes.
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

I too am concerned about front wheel skid when braking. I have 15" X 3" on the front. On most cars, the front brakes do most of the work. On a buggy however, the front end is super light. I plan on using a proportioning valve installed backwards, sending most of the brake pressure to the rear wheels.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Man I never gave stopping a thought i have skinny tires in front but i also dont have a valve to send more pressure to the front. i am using a aftermarket setup on most dunebuggys.. It is still out for roll cage and i have not drove it yet.. Could always add weight to front. 1/2'' thick skid plate should help. could also add a winch. i have a huge 24v winch... about 90 lbs.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I added T-3 rear brakes and it moved alot of the brakeing to the rear. I still don't have a proportioning valve though.