Brake questions.

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
flaboyjim

Brake questions.

Post by flaboyjim »

I have a set of pedals from my 65 donor car, but they seem to be fused together due to some sort of metal on metal action. (not rust) I have soaked in solvent for about 2 weeks now, but it has not loosend them. Has anyone had similar problems, and been victorious over the problem? All help will be appreciated!! Is there a source that rebuilds the tree, I hate to spend $60 to $80 on a new one if this one can be fixed. What type of dual circuit Master Cylinder do I want to purchase. I have heard that there will be some clearance issues with the stock reservoir- so a Volvo 240 reservoir will be "low profile" enough. Need advise please.
manxfwin

brake questions

Post by manxfwin »

If you purchase a Brazilian/Mexican M/C then the Volvo res. will be a factory fit.If you use the original or purchase a German M/C then you need to find a Rabbit res. and make some mods as described by Lee and several others in the posts or you can make an aluminum bracket to hold the VW res. that was described in the "How to Build a Dune Buggy" book.Good luck,Dave :2cents:
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Heat! Heat them up with a torch and they will move. I have salvaged many sets of pedals that people have thrown away for that same reason. As my Father has always told me "Heat moves everything".
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

If using a petroleum based penetrating oil doesn't work, try the ultimate, eucalyptus oil. I kid you not. It will unfeeze any rusted together assembly. Another trick if you have a few months to wait is to warm a drum of molasses and then soak the parts in that. That is what the fellows who restore old put-put stationary engines do. They get a rusted, frozen solid old engine, put it in a 44 gallon drum of warm molasses and leave it for about a year. Every bit of corrosion turns to slush and it can be hosed away. All other parts unbolt as if they are oiled.
bountyhunterdm

Post by bountyhunterdm »

I bet it tastes real good to. Finger lickin..
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Make sure you get every last bit of molasses off the pedals before you install them...You don't need an Ant infestation problem in your buggy. :D
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

sounds like a peddle lickn good ide'r. 44 gallons of molasses. man I bet thatd be few $1000
Gene-C

Frozen pedals

Post by Gene-C »

PB Blaster & time works wonders on rusted parts - GM & Chrysler carry a spraycan rust penetrant in the parts department of your local dealership; I think they refer to it as 'heat riser linkage lube' or something like that; works well at loosening up rusty parts... well, that stuff & a big deadblow hammer :laugh1: This is what I used to free-up a pedal cluster on a car; the 'soak it & whack it with a hammer method' - it's not a patented idea yet, so feel free to use this method! Bryan in NC