Jerry, Lee or anyone with pod guidiance?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Siggymanx33

Jerry, Lee or anyone with pod guidiance?

Post by Siggymanx33 »

This is going to be my third time asking this question and I am just looking for a little extra guidience......I am working on my pods with the Berrien Chassis. I took a little off the bottom, leaving a little extra that I will go back and fine tune. However I am looking for where elso I may need to trim. I remember Lee telling me that the area around the rollbar mount. My pod also looks like it is going to need a little flexing to get it under the fender. When I pull the bottom out a little bit that gap gets a little better but still not under. By no means is it going to just slide under without some persuasion......before I do the I want to make the proper trim. I also remeber lee telling me it took him a thousand trials. I am only on 6 or seven........ Any last minute help before I start getting after it? Also with the pod on, it looks like torsion adjustments are out of the question without removal. Am I correct?
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Side picture
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Dave, I'm not going to be of much help. I haven't worked on my Siggy in 18 months. I have the pods mounted but I don't remember having to trim the pod anywhere but along the bottom, to clear the Berrien frame. I can see where the pod may have to be trimmed to clear the upper roll bar mounting bolts. I also remember it taking me and a friend to twist, bend and fold the pod enough to get it under the body lip and fender lips. After they have been mounted for a couple months, they must have taken a set and now can be installed by 1 person without much problem.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Thanks for the response Jerry. I was awaitng a magic answer that hadn't thought of....other than fitting it a ton of times. When it comes to grinding glass, I get gun shy. Realizing the body is five years older than the pods probably doesn't help much? I haven't really wrestled with it yet attempting the gentle approach, time to take the gloves off.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I put a bunch of layers of masking tape on the pods and on the edge of the body to keep from scratching and chipping the gelcoat. You can't be too careful.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

good point......
Lee

Post by Lee »

My experience is much like Jerry's. It took two of us the better part of a morning to get the pods on there initially, but I can now easily remove and install them by myself. You will definately need to trim around the nuts on the rollbar mount. I think you might also need to trim a little off of where the steering support bracket bolts come through. I remember grinding the corners of the pan down because the pods were hitting it, but since you have the Berrien frame I can't tell if that's what you need to do. I don't recall having to do any trimming of where the pods meet the fenderline. It should fit up in there, but it won't go until you have trimmed the other areas I mentioned. I would recommend you trim the areas around the roll bar / steering support bolts as needed and see what happens. You are correct - you can't access the torsion bars without removing the pods. In my case, I also have to remove the roll bar because I can't get to the pod bolts with it installed. :(
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Thanks again for the responses. No magic potion huh? Thanks, I'll just start grinding, fitting, grind, fit until done.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Yep, no magic involved, just a lot of careful grinding and cursing. I looked at your pictures a few more times, and I am confident that once you get clearance for the roll bar bolts it will fit into place. You need to take away enough material from the pod so that the edge of it fits right up against the body. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!