Windshield wipers ?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Stewart

Windshield wipers ?

Post by Stewart »

My new VDO gages interfeared with my wiper motor and arms so I took them out !.(It never rains in california ).:( Dose any one know if there mandatory in Calif ?
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

I have the same issue on my clone. To remedy this, I`m making a wood face plate for the dash. This will bring all the gauges out around a half an inch to clear the wiper mechanism. When I get the bucks, I plan on having one made of billet aluminum.
flaboyjim

Post by flaboyjim »

It never rains in Florida either - at least when I will be driving the buggy. I plan on taking Manxter 10 advice and put them on for decoration. Has anyone seen the hand crank wipers that Dino's has fabricated? There was a thread on it several months ago, never heard how it worked out.
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Yes, in Kalifornia wipers are part of the vehicle code, i.e required. But, Manxter10 has a good idea to have them visable, even if they don't actually work. There is a remote chance if you're breaking the law in some visable way, you might get stopped and if you're not really visably happy about it, the officer may just check everything on your buggy. So, rule, #1 don't break the law. Rule #2, if pulled over, be nice at all times. You most likely will never be checked, unless you are driving in the rain without the wipers on (yes it rains in Kalifornia, dispite the song or reports to the contrary). Another alternative is to have some hand operated wipers that will fit the top of the windshield. B and K Manufacturing makes the bracket and you get the hand operated wiper from J.C.Whitney. The Kalifornia vehicle code does not mention how the wipers are to be powered (electrical motor, vacuum motor, hand operated or otherwise). And, I've seen a lot of Kalifornia Buggies without wipers present, so that can be an option, as well.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Go to the following link (Compliments of Manx David) then click on the wiper button. They sell a rack and pinion operated wiper system that looks like the ticket for tight quarters. http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Thanks everyone for the info , looks like it must appear that I have some type of working windshield wipers. :roll:
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

I can tell you that it does rain in my neck of the woods! And the times that it did, I wished I had an extra set for inside the windshield! In all honesty, They would probably work better if they were mounted inside the windshield! In my province, I even needed to have functionning windshield washer! Like I've ever needed to use that in my Dune Buggy!!! Needless to say that the washer's pump no has seized long ago! The only advice I can give you guys wanting to only mount the wipers for show is to carry a piece of twine. Simply tie both ends to the wiper arms looping around the windshield. You can operate the wipers that way! Mind you, you'll probably have to put the cell phone down ;-)
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="flaboyjim"]It never rains in Florida either - at least when I will be driving the buggy.[/QUOTE] Funny guy :laugh1: :laugh1: It usually catches me about a half mile from where I'm going (at a high rate of speed to beat the rain). Pours till I get there then stops. I have been stopped for a roadside equipment check once and was glad mine worked. Well at least they go back and forth on the lower 2/3 of the windshield. Doesnt help for someone who looks through the top 1/3. Well I guess they are "legal" anyway. Rain-X will do a better job of letting you see where you are going. Wipers to keep you out of jail. :2cents:
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

When I was in California I was astonished to see the number of buggies that did not have wipers and, which because the bumps on the body work had no holes in them, quite clearly had never had them. When I asked why not, I was told, "It never rains in Southern California,--------.", or that it was a fair weather car only. Yeah! Right!. On the way back from Baja it poured, just as the song says, the whole way. I was snug and dry, but very cold in Gus the Bus. When we got back to Manx Central I had never seen such a collection of drowned rats in my life. O.K. Do it your own way, but I have never understood why anyone would not want a set of fully functional wipers in a buggy; also when I'm bush bashing my washers and wipers work overtime. If you are going to go to the trouble of faking a set of wipers, why not do a little bit of extra work and have working ones? If there is no room below the windscreen to fit wipers, old English cars, such as MG TCs have electric wipers that fit on the top of the windscreen frame. :2cents:
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I live near Chicago and it rains often (this past summer was an exception). I have been driving my Manx for 3 summers with no wipers and I haven't needed them. The 1 time I had an opportunity to drive my buggy in the rain, I vowed I will never do it again. The breaking sucks on wet pavement to the point that it is dangerous to drive, so I have no desire to drive the buggy in the rain. Consequently I see no need for wipers. :driving:
atinkle

Post by atinkle »

:D I live just outside Seattle, it only rains 300 days a year. I drive my Manx to work almost everyday and don't have any greater problem breaking on wet roads that with my Dodge Ram or Grand Prix. I am glad to have functioning wipers, electric heater to defrost the windshield and roof with side windows. Why do I drive it everyday? Because it just FUN even at 59 going on 13. :driving:
Gene-C

Wipers

Post by Gene-C »

Can you give me a heads up on the type of wipers ----early vw 12 volts or later or from a different car Thanks
dpauli

Post by dpauli »

I scrounged a complete wiper assembly from a ?75 standard Beetle from a bone yard. I have a stock VW speedometer mounted in the center of the dash so it?s a tight fit. But, if you bend some of the light spades out of the way of the rack it all works well. It is tight though. I also think a pair on the inside of the windshield would be good. It rains a lot in Florida. I also have drain holes drilled in the floor!
Gene-C

wipers

Post by Gene-C »

I have "fakes" also,(in central Kollyfornia).My buggy had holes so I bolted 8mm bolts through them and attached the wiper arms to them for appearance sake.I wasn't goung to add legit wipers until I saw that the Berrien support allegedly supports the wiper motor.I have been considering one for a year or so and will likely order one soon and decide once I see how it would all come together.I've gone 60-70 in a serious downpour,(never in my buggy) without wipers,having used rain-ex.You have to be diligent about apply it though and it's a drag getting caught in the occasional summer storm or first rain of the season without it.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

I actually have wipers that work, not for the occassional rain we ge in L.A., but for the more occassional water crossing! :D That way I don't have to stop, find the towel, wipe off the W/S, put the towel away then start going again. Couple wipes from the wiper blades, and that mucky muddy water is squeegeed from the W/S and I can see where I'm going again without stopping. :rock: