Loose Axle Nut

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
5150bossman

Loose Axle Nut

Post by 5150bossman »

I have recently notices a pronounced shaking in the buggy after about a year and 2000 miles since I built it. It was even squeeking from the right rear wheel as I would make a turn. As it began to get worse, I was thinking I had lost an axle bearing. So today, I went to pull the rear drums off (swing axle). What I found suprised me. The right axle nut still had the cotter pin in it and in tact. The drum could be wiggled from side to side a bit, so I was still thinking a bad bearing. After removing the cotter pin, I found that the axle nut was barely hand tight. :eek: I didn't even need a tool to remove it! After removing the nut and the drum, I found that the axle itself was just fine, no slop in the movement what-so-ever. I re-torqued the nut to 270 ft-lbs and checked the other side. No problems there. Took it for a test drive, and the shaking was gone :clap: . Any Ideas as to why this would happen? The inside of the drum looks fine, and the axle shaft looks clean too. How can it come loose with the cotter pin in place preventing it from rotating (no stripped threads)?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

The only possible explaination is that it was'nt torqued properly before the cotterpin was installed IMHO.
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

Better check the nut behind the steering wheel too. Sorry...couldn`t resist. :D
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Aftermarket brake drums have a tendency to "compress" and consequently loosen after being properly torqued. I have seen it happen on more then a couple VWs. Once the drum was retorqued, all was well. You can also be experiencing the splines in the drum beginning to wear.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

The axle was originally torqued to 270 ft-lbs, and has run for almost a year without a problem. Not seated properly is possible (irregular casting?). I did replace the originals at that time. So it took that long for the nut behind the wheel to get those splines to loosen up a bit :crazy: . I've never heard of the metal compressing. Will have to keep an eye on the other side as both were replaced at the same time. Thanks for the input. :D
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

God only knows what materials they use to cast the brake drums in India, Brazil, Italy and China? I do know it's not the quality of the German steel :D
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Don't always blame it on the brake drums. The rear axle spacers (seal races) can also problems with drums coming loose. Check and make sure that they are not worn on the surface where it mates to the drum. 270lbs for axle nut torque is a little more than required. Spec is 217lbs. Over tightening can cause problems in it self.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Even though it was loose, there was no leaking from the seals.