Finally got the top

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
mightymanx

Finally got the top

Post by mightymanx »

Image Image Image After several weeks and alot of discussion the top is finally finished.
Jon

New Top

Post by Jon »

That top looks like NOS....................................
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Yes, it looks very nice. How much did it cost you? Are you going to make more and sell them?
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Mike, the top looks great. I like the larger flaps on the side curtains. Did you use the old side curtains as a pattern? Do the side curtains zip down while in place? Nice job. You'll get a lot more use out of your buggy now. Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

As all we good Bokononists say, "Nice, nice, very nice.", because you have been, "Busy, busy, busy." You may find that it drums and flaps in use. If it does, fit a bow. A boat shop will have all of the advice and parts needed. When pushed up a bit in the middle by the bow, the roof will become slightly curved and it will look even better.
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

Bud We did use the other side curtains as a pattern but we didn't make them zip down while they are on. The side curtains on my first manx back in the 70's didn't zip down all the way so I didn't make these. I did use pictures of that top and all your pictures of yours and combined them to come up with this creation. The shop that made it charged me $450.00 for everything. I didn't think that was to bad. Again thanks for your input Bud.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Mike, you are very welcome. Let me know how the side curtain flaps work out "at speed". I'd be interested in knowing whether they pick up in the wind. My flaps are too narrow and tend to pull inside the body. You also got a much better deal than I did on the cost. My top was almost 2x your price :cry:. Hang on to your top person's address and phone number in case I need another top made. Are you going to hang on to that old top I sent you? The guy I bought my buggy from thought it was original '68 vintage. It might be useful somewhere down the road. Now that you are weather-proof, you don't have any excuses not to motor on up here to Wilmington for a visit :D . Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I would like to know what width the door inside lips are.........I am making mine twewo inches with zippers. How does the no bow thing work at speed? Neal
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

Neal I am not sure which measurement you are looking for. The measurement from the tops edge to the zipper is about 1.5" . The opening from the top to the body is 19" in the front and 17" at the back before it makes the turn down to the body. The bottom flap which snaps is about 5" long. The top doesn't flap to bad when driving at 70 but I did have a problem with it hitting my head when I came to a stop. I took care of that problem by having a pad made for the roll bar which raised it up and pulled it tighter. I do enjoy the buggy a lot more with the top. It is one of the best investments I have made for the buggy. Hope this helps
Gigantalope

Post by Gigantalope »

That looks sweet, it really keep the buggy looking to the period. The mags are great too, give that "Hot Wheel" look.
monocoque

Sweet!

Post by monocoque »

Mike, That is a beautiful Manx. Have you had it painted or is hat Chartreuse metal flake? What an awesome period looking buggy. I need to get one Towd door made so if you could, drop me a line and let me know your contact for tops. I have a local boat shop here but I feel that they are kind of pricey Take care Chris