weelies?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

weelies?

Post by Gene-C »

does a 1600 dualport have enough power to lift the front wheel off the ground or should i get the 2000 kit from cip?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

It is possable to do wheelies with a 1600 but very difficult. The only time I did one I had about 400 lbs of high school student sitting as far back in my buggy as I could. If you want to do weelies I would defnatly get a bigger motor. And if you are going to be doing them often you need to beef up some other things like the trans and such due to the fact that they are not very kind to the drive train.
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

[QUOTE="dirtydeedss"]does a 1600 dualport have enough power to lift the front wheel off the ground [/QUOTE] Yes. Twice.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="UncleBob"]Yes. Twice.[/QUOTE] Guess I better not do another one. :D My 1600 will pull the wheels about a half inch if I really abuse it. Then it falls on it's face because there is nothing to back it up. I have tall tires and the wrong gears for wheelies.
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

I`m not sure about a 1600cc, but I did with a 1641cc...but that was a rail.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

If you set the suspension up correctly, it will do wheelies. The problem is when the suspension is setup to do wheelies the buggy doesn't handle very well around town. Not to mention the fact that if the trans is stock you probably be needing another one in short order.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I have always tried to keep as many wheels as possible on the ground, but I have done two honest wheelies with my 1600. Both were good ones, and both were unexpected. It's not so much a question of power as it is throttle and clutch work. It's kind of like panic stopping - you never seem to lock the brakes up as hard during a brake test as you do when you really need to avoid hitting something. What happened was I mis-judged how fast an oncoming car was going when I was making a left hand turn (this happened both times - then I got new glasses :crazy: ). I gassed it and popped the clutch. Up went the front end. Side note - the buggy doesn't turn at all when the front wheels aren't on the ground. When the wheels are back on the ground, it turns instantly (remember, I was making a left). Definately not pleasant when you aren't expecting it! I will also sometimes lift the front end a tiny bit when going into second gear, but I try to keep that to a minimum, as this is bad for the transmission.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

On the wrong side of the road too... Image Image and with a wheel in the dirt!!!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid"]On the wrong side of the road too... Image and with a wheel in the dirt!!![/QUOTE] Ah, yes, but if I remember correctly, that buggy has a tad more power than a 1600dp... Great picture! I've gotten up a few times accidentally, but I try to make it a habit of not dropping the clutch. I ease up on the peddle to take up the slack in the drivetrain, then drop it. Swapping swingaxles is a pain in the rear! The stocker tranny in front of my 2180cc is still alive and kicking after almost a year, even after some pretty hard starts at the strip, and multi-burnouts. ++knock on wood++
joemama

Post by joemama »

Back in high school, I tried to race a 63 Dodge Dart, 6 cyl, pushbutton trans, with my 66 bug, stock 1300 with flycut heads for higher compression, dropped the clutch, heard a "ping", and just sat right where I was. I popped the snap ring that holds the ring gear in place. If I can do that with a 1300, I would not advice doing it much with a 1600, or larger.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

honestly if you want to be doing wheelies the best option is to go out and get a WRX motor. I've seen them go tun key (- ecu and radiator) shipped for 875. You can barely get a 1600 for that much. But granted then you have to get a trans adapter (about 275) and a radiator and an ecu but it would be a sweet ride. I have a friend that is doing this in a street bug and is shooting for 350 with some minor upgrades. I think the stock twin turbo wrx motor gets somewhere of the 250-300 bhp range. Just a thought.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="dr. awsome"]I've seen them go tun key (- ecu and radiator) shipped for 875.[/QUOTE] Got a link?! :D
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="UncleBob"]Ah, yes, but if I remember correctly, that buggy has a tad more power than a 1600dp... Great picture! I've gotten up a few times accidentally, but I try to make it a habit of not dropping the clutch. I ease up on the peddle to take up the slack in the drivetrain, then drop it. Swapping swingaxles is a pain in the rear! The stocker tranny in front of my 2180cc is still alive and kicking after almost a year, even after some pretty hard starts at the strip, and multi-burnouts. ++knock on wood++[/QUOTE] Must have scared the driver right out of hiImages seat:eek: .
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

ImageMust have scared the driver right out of his seat:eek: .
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="mark2manxter"]ImageMust have scared the driver right out of his seat:eek: .[/QUOTE] This guy drives like this whenever he can!!!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)