anyone with mustang brakelights?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

anyone with mustang brakelights?

Post by Gene-C »

I am asking because i have them . the light pigtail has 2 wires . tail lights and brake. the new wire kit has 3 wires brake, tail, and turn. do i tie the brake and turn together? also can't get the empi turn signal to work either. any ideas? i only have front turn and not parking lights for the front. the instructions say to ground the housing but it is made of plastic ...... and there is not a grounding wire... it also said the flasher needs to be grounded. mine is plastic , so i will go buy another one that is metal. Question 2 . I also have a bosch alt. does the wire fron the alt that goes to the dash light act like a ground? or a positive. i have the light grounded at the dash and the other wire going to the alt...am i reversed?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Im not sure about the 3 wires, are you sure its not, brake/turn, parking light, and ground. does the light have 2 bulbs, 1 1157 and 1 1158. (single element for parking,and dual element for the brake and turn.)
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

it is definitely a 3 wire system the instructions show that. the light is a 1 bulb with a 2 element light bulb.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

What I'm getting out of this is there is a high a low and a ground wire. One wire goes to the high (brake) one goes to the low (running light) and the other goes back to ground. The turn will usually run through the brake wire if I remember right.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Theres gotta be some kinda relay or splitter that seperates the front lights from the back, or a seperat set of lights for the front, because if your turn signal is tied into your brake, then when you brake, your front turns will also light up.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

this kit has a wire for all 3 , white is running lights , red is brake from plug and brown and yellow wires for turn each side. . do i tie the brake and turn together? this was a pre wire kit from empi. tail light work brake light will work when i bleed the brakes still cant get the turns to work.. note the wires on the harness match the turn signal kit. so i know they are for turn....
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="boozer"]Theres gotta be some kinda relay or splitter that seperates the front lights from the back, or a seperat set of lights for the front, because if your turn signal is tied into your brake, then when you brake, your front turns will also light up.[/QUOTE] it is split up . at the turn signal/ emergency kit. here it is http://www.mooreparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AC953513&Category_Code=TTURNES
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Im starting to lean more toward you front turn signals and parking lights, is it one bulb, does it have the three wires. (ground, parking, and brake) it should be the same setup as you tail lights, unless you are using a seperate light for the parking. What im getting at, is if you every wired a trialer, if the back of the vehicle uses the same bulb for both brake and turn, your fine, or if the back has an amber turn signal you have to purchase a converter. to keep it from backfeeding to your other lights.
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

If you have a dual filament bulbs and want to have tail/stop/turn, you could use a trailer converter, or make your own converter. Here's the diagram. Image I ran Mustang lights on my Empi Imp. I didn't want to mess with the converter, so I bought a set of 3 filament boat trailer lights and rigged them up behind the 'Stang lenses and housings. It ended up being kindv'e cool, because trailer lights have a clear 'license tag' light that I used to point at the engine (underneath the body). They really lit up my engine at night! Question#2- The Alt Idiot light acts like a ground when not working, and a positive when it is. You have it reversed. Hook the back of your idiot light to ignition, and the run the wire to the alt. Idiot light should light when ignition is turned on, and go off when running. lastly, here's the wiring for the Empi Turn Signal. You sure the flasher needs to be grounded? Image Oh yeah, do you have a picture of your front turn signals? The bulb holder has to be grounded for it to work. Usually the mounting screws go through the bulb holder bracket. You can use a small threaded bolt instead, and on the underside of your fender, run a ground wire from that bolt to a ground, like your shock tower, or wherever your headlights are grounded. Hope that helps.
joemama

Post by joemama »

I just helped a friend wire his buggy. If you wire the brake and turn signals together, when you step on the brake, your front turn signals will also go on. I found the simplest thing to do, was to add a 2nd socket and 1156 bulb to the mustang housing, then using this bulb only for brakes. You can purchase sockets at most auto part stores, the ones I used required about a 3/4" hole, I used a stepped drill to make this hole, do not make the hole too big, there are tabs that you bend over to hold the socket on after you push it thru the hole. I also applied some JB Weld to the joining surfaces. As far as your front turn signals, you will have to somehow ground the "socket" sides. I believe the idiot light on the alternator is live, and the alternator provides a ground when not working.
90volts

re

Post by 90volts »

i have a parking/turn line, brake line, and a ground line. and added a reverse line. Image
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Thank you everyone. after all the good info here i was able to get it working. i did add a bulb in the housing and that fixed that. the plastic signal kit has a small wire that should touch the clamp and be grounded. also i got a new metal flasher and grounded it. that fixed the blinker light in the housing., the only thing i dont have is running lights for the front. as i have the cheep small chrome light with only one wire. I am not woried about that if they cant see the head lights i am in trouble. As a note i installed one of the expencive ignition kits 220$ comufire 65k volts. man the engine fires up like it is fuel injected. thank you again all.
Stewart

"stang" tail lights

Post by Stewart »

SeaBee Buggy Could you post a pic of the inside of the light assy after the 2 bulb mod , I have the same problem!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I sure will it will be a week or so, as the buggy it out for a roll cage. all i did was get 2 new 1156 plugs from kragen and drill a hole in the back of housing , inserted the new 2nd plug and that was it . also caulked the back really good to keep water out. cost about 8$ total for everything.