Insulation

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
manxfwin

Insulation

Post by manxfwin »

I know there's been several posts on carpet versus painted pans but the question I have relates to insulation for the pan before I install the carpet.I know,real buggies don't need no stinking carpet :laugh1: but this one will be strictly a streeter.Has anyone had experience with the insulation that has a foil backing on one side and the fiberglass mat on the other?Which side is applied to the pan/Thanks for any info.
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

I think that stuff was intended to be inside a wall, sealed up. In your application I think it might have the possibility of randomly distributing some of the fiberglass material on skin and that would be an itchy proposition. I think you might want to look into the fiber mat like materials, usually made of either cotton or wool fibers. I'm thinking like house carpet padding, either 1/4", 1/2" or 3/4" thick. It could probably take the occasional water/moisture as well.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Whoever did the interior on my Manx just trimmed a gray Beetle carpet to fit the tub, and secured it in a few strategic places - no insulation was used. I figure insulation could only serve to hold more water if the car gets wet. I removed the carpet a couple of summers ago, made sure the weep holes were sufficient, and painted it all with POR-15. :cool:
FAKMANX

Post by FAKMANX »

There is an insulation that the RV industry uses in there generator compartments, which is about 1" thick and has a shell of foil, then a dense foam a flexible thin lead lining, then more foam. The lead lining knocks out the noise, and the material wont burn. It is a little expensive but very durable.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

If you have an open buggy I don't see any need for insulation under the carpet. I don't see it deadening sound since the buggy is open and as far as insulating against heat, there is no engine heat rolling under the passenger compartment that needs to be insulated against. I have checked the temperature of the floorpans on a 100f day while on the street in traffic. The floor gets a little warm when sitting at a light but cools right down once the buggy starts moving.
fubar

Post by fubar »

My glass buggy actually has a rear heater from a 4 runner to keep my feet warm. When it is cold out I still prefer to drive something doors and windows. I hear that the new rage out in Glamis is kind of a generic heated seat that fits between the bucket and seat cover???The carpet in that buggy is a sheet of aluminum. They make some stuff called "Road Kill " a peel and stick sound/anti vibration insulator that the stereo nazis use inside of doors, etc to keep down that sheet metal buzz when playing heavy metal at 200 db. The best insulation I know of is close cell foam. ( black neoprene ) It comes in big rolls , different thicknesses, and can be glued to metal with contact adheasive. One thing to avoid is welding sparks until the glue has kicked of....It makes an instant, large ,orange, fire with thick, toxic, black smoke. Trust me on that one.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I used insulating mat that looks like wool on one side and foil on the other. I installed it foil up under my carpet. The insulation and the carpet is a mistake if you are going to use your buggy where it may get wet. Mine got wet once. it took hours with a shop vac to get the water out. I have 2 weep holes at the lowest part of the pan halves. My 2nd buggy wont have carpet.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I need to correct a tiny bit of my previous statement.....when I said 'if it gets wet,' I meant to say 'WHEN it gets wet.' :D 'Unto each kit car a little rain must fall.'
gregr

Post by gregr »

I used a rubber floor mat under the carpet to help with the "heavy moisture" issue. I also installed my carpet with tabs that make it easy to remove for drying so it's not sitting on the pans while wet. :D
GregR
manxfwin

Insulation

Post by manxfwin »

Thanks for the input,the insulation that I have was purchased from Cip1.It is the 1/4" wool/fiber padding on one side and the foil on the other.Still debating on whether to use it or not. :confused:
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

What are you hoping to gain by using insulation? Do you have a top and side curtains on the buggy?
joemama

Post by joemama »

Just my :2cents: dont use insulation, in fact, if I were to have carpet, wich I dont, I would make it removable, like they do on boats now days, maybe even use marine grade carpet.