Help! What's the solvent for brake fliud?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
shaihulud

Help! What's the solvent for brake fliud?

Post by shaihulud »

There are times when I despair of myself. Today I did something very stupid and now I need some help. I am so annoyed with myself that like the family of the Elephant's Child I should be spanked until I am "very warm and greatly astonished". I was cleaning up the gelcoated interior of the tub of my SR in readiness for painting. A previous owner had used a very tough glue to fit some carpet into the area behind the seats. I used every solvent that I had in the shed and found that a combination of scraping, acetone and ether was working, but it was slow and difficult. Because brake fluid will take the hair off a brown dog I tried some of that. Silly me. It did no good but now I have contaminated the area with an oil which I am having trouble removing. I have used the following solvents to try to remove it Petrol (gasolene). white spirit, mineral turpentine, metholated spirits, ether (from aerostart or as it is labeled here, "Start ya Bastard!", acetone and lacquer thinners. None of it has worked. What do you suggest that I try next? :eek: :confused: :o :x
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Try carburator cleaner...it attacks everything! Just be mindful of your eyes and where gloves.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Toluene is my miracle solvent of choice.
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

MEK would work BUT it is some nasty S!#T. You need to work out side and wear a respeator, if it gets on your skin it will absorb into it.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Id love to have a can of fluid with that label "Start ya Bastard" Any chance of sending me a can?
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

WuZaBuG. Sure I can send you some Start ya Bastard, but I doubt if it would be permissable to send something as inflamably potent as ether in the mail. PM me your snail mail address. The label is painted on the can and I don't expect to finish my can for a long time as I don't use it very often. Let me see what I can do. :D :D :D
Lee

Post by Lee »

Brake Parts Cleaner. It should be on the rack near the Carb Cleaner.
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Here's a pic of "Start ya Bastard"... Image Classic Stuff, only from the land of OZ Just in case the real thing doesn't make it to you!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Richard I sent you PM. Thanks for the pic Allen.:laugh1:
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Just in case the real thing doesn't make it to you!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

The best luck, I have had on removing adhesives and that type of stuff is Xylol Xylene Got mine @ the Home Depot This stuff will thin or cut anything. It is also used in cleaning carpets, by the pros. Like all the other stuff, be careful, highly flammable etc. :2cents: Jimbo
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Thanks for your suggestions. It looks as if my solvent supply is about to greatly increase. I'll let you know what works.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Trial and error... Thats how we get where we are...:D
croakintowd

What ta do?

Post by croakintowd »

Hello, One of the best "solvents" for Brake fluid is soap and water. Brake Fluid (Dot 3) will mix with water, so water should be a good choice to remove Brake fluid. For the left over glue junk, I've used a product called "Goo Gone". It's a good solvent for most adhesives, and some paints (If the paint isn't too old). Hope it helps,
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Richard. You anticipated my next reply here. Recently while talking about this problem with my friend Hector, who has many years of buggy experience, we had a conversation that went a lot like this. "Richard, there are times when you can be so dumb." "What?" "Why should you change your brake fluid every two years." "I don't know." "Because it absorbs water, dummy, it's hygroscopic." "Oh!" "Wash it off with a strong detergent and water." So I did, and I think that it has solved my problem. After all of the other solvents that I used, I don't know what worked, but I think that the problem is licked. Occam, as in Occam's Razor, was again proven to be right. "The simplest answer is nearly always the correct one".