Rotary Fuel Pump Question

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Don Giovanoni

Rotary Fuel Pump Question

Post by Don Giovanoni »

I am thinking about getting an electric rotary fuel pump from CB Performance to go with my dual Webers. Has anyone run one of these? Does it require a relay or does it pull so little it can be wired into a keyed fuse? Thanks!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Don, Is that the high pressure pump? For my Webers I went to NAPA and got a P60504 rotaryfuel pump w/ filter for $60 + tax. This is for low pressure carb usage, not or EFI applications. A buggy friend, says he has had great luck with it on Webers, and that this is a common stock item in most NAPA stores. I figured that a NAPA store would be easier to visit than waiting for a delivery from CB if it craps out on a weekend. I will know next week if it does the job. Image Joe
Don Giovanoni

Hi Joe

Post by Don Giovanoni »

I am looking at the low volume pump, supposedly 3.5 lbs pressure. This would eliminate a regulator between the stock pump and the T fittings to the carbs. I am concerned about the amp draw of the pump, deciding if a relay would be required. Thanks for the response, let us know how the NAPA pump works. Did you move away from FI?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

In the process of installing a pair of Webers. I could not get the FI to perform correctly. All I had was nothing or wide open. The control head would not change a thing. When it was new it worked great. I am not into having to tinker with it to make it run. I want to be able to go out, start it, and drive it away. The FI setup was always in need of something. Joe
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Hi Don, I have run the CB Performance regulated rotary pump on a dual Webered VW for about 5 years with no issues. Above all, it's nice and quiet. I am running it thru a relay but I don't think it needs to run thru a relay.
Don Giovanoni

Jerry - Thanks

Post by Don Giovanoni »

Running through a relay has to be safer. Of course running new wires on an assembled buggy is a pain, but I like the idea of blocking off the fuel pump and getting rid of all the hoses on the front of the engine. The weather has changed and it is building/fix up season!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Joe I have run both CB Fi Systems and after my latest remake of Gadget I had the same problem I have come to learn even more for trouble shooting the system What I have found is that if there was a problem It was something I did rather than the system, System works great The good thing is that there is only a couple places to check In your case you either have a vacuum leak from your throttle bodies to the sensor or you need to calibrate the Thottle position sensor. If I rememeber right you have the manual system and it should be just under one volt.( but you have plenty of room for adjustment there either way) I had one heck of a time finding a vaccum leak I had, which came to find out I had 3 . the last being the braided hose from the throttle bodies which I thought "no way" but when I changed it, shazam problem gone. Either one of those or both should solve your problem
Don Giovanoni

Thanks Joe

Post by Don Giovanoni »

Joe, I understand your frustration when you have to fiddle all of the time. The new Solex 34 PICT-3 smog carb I bought has been terrible to tune. I have tried every tuning trick with it. It has been reasonably dependable but to get it to run smooth throughout the RPM range it has to be adjusted to be rich in the idle circuit. I have been running a new SVDA distributor with electronics and have experimented with timing as well. I originally planned on running a single Zenith 32NDIX and bought a couple to rebuild. But the Siggy only provided about 1/2" clearance over the Zenith when I did the trial fit - absolutely no room for an air cleaner or even an elbow. I wanted to run the Zenith not because of big HP, but my experience with them proved them to be easy to tune and as dependable as an anvil. So now I am going "old school" - 40IDF Webers and a genuine 010 distributor. I have experience with syching and tuning IDFs from my Super Vee days, so I am going to give them a shot. Good luck with your Webers Joe. BTW, a very wise man once said "Half of carburetion problems are ignition, and half of ignition problems are carburetion ".
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Here is a write up from one of the Weber Tech sites on a Carter Rotary pump. http://www.racetep.com/webfuelspark.html#webfuel
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I Use The Carter Pump On My Weber Progressave With Out A Regulator Or A Fused Link For Two Years Now With No Problems .