Surfboard on buggy

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
63Fiberbuggy

Surfboard on buggy

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

Anyone flying a surfboard as a "display" on their buggy? I'm entertaining the idea (kids seem to like it!). If anyone has pictures, particularly how they mounted the beast, I'd appreciate it. Don't want it lifting off...could be trouble. Also, surfboards are in short supply in SC, as you may expect. I called the (3) shops listed in the closest coastal city - Charleston & they only carry new boards. Any ideas where to shop for a used "display" quality board? Looking forward to warmer weather here in SC..... Thanks. BP
markmark

Post by markmark »

Here's a pic of my old buggy at a motorkhana for a VW show over here. The surfboard is an old 70's single fin which people throw away here. As it was a last minute addition, it is just held down with elastic straps. The straps did a fairly good job as the board stayed on all the way down the freeway to the show. Image
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

[QUOTE="63Fiberbuggy"]Anyone flying a surfboard as a "display" on their buggy? I'm entertaining the idea (kids seem to like it!). If anyone has pictures, particularly how they mounted the beast, I'd appreciate it. Don't want it lifting off...could be trouble. Also, surfboards are in short supply in SC, as you may expect. I called the (3) shops listed in the closest coastal city - Charleston & they only carry new boards. Any ideas where to shop for a used "display" quality board? Looking forward to warmer weather here in SC..... Thanks. BP[/QUOTE] Bill, I've thought about doing the same thing. Since I'm familiar with Charleston (my in-laws live there) I'd suggest hitting the many Money Man Pawn shops. Here in Wilmington the pawn shops are full of used boards. Also, many of the surf board shops in Wilmington carry a section of used boards. I've never seen any that were being given away, but I have seen a number in the $50 and up range. If I decide to use one for a display, I'm going to grab my son's. Afterall, I bought the damn thing for him in the first place :D Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
63Fiberbuggy

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

Thanks for the tip, didn't think about pawn shops. Wilmington isn't too far off either, so if I locate a surfboard there, maybe I can talk Mike (aka "mightymanx") from Columibia into joining me for a ride up. Mark, I like that single fin look. If you're headed to SC/USA, bring one over! Image
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

You didn't say whether or not you had a roof on your buggy. If you have a hardtop, go here: http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/Kathleens-Manxter and see if you like this set-up. The board is just screwed through the roof because it is a display board. We bought the board on e-bay. It is a combination boogie board/surf board. We were able to match the colors of the car. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
dennis-and-cathy

surfin

Post by dennis-and-cathy »

we run several different boards on all our buggies. I took a 1" square alumiumn tubing cut to about 24" in length, got two alumiumn mirror mounts that you use for the side mirrors, like the ones you get from the VW rags, thru bolted the tubing to the mounts then mounted it to the top of the windshiled, easy on and off and can use on any of the buggies, I did use about a 1" spacer between the tubing and mount made out of pvc painted to match, then strap the board to it and the roll bar, the open ends of the tubing can be covered by going to a good hardware store and getting chrome or black plugs. I also wrop the tubing with roll bar foam to protect the board and use pull straps to secure it. :hello:
63Fiberbuggy

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

[font=Verdana]I tell you what Tom & Kathleen, I never get tired of seeing your buggy(s), they look great! Mine is a soft top (see picture in earlier post, plus one below without rollbar & with rag-top frame on), but I rarely put it on, mostly open air. I plan to mount to windshield frame and rollbar, somehow that's ease on/off. You mention "[font=Verdana]matching colors of the car[font=Verdana]", did the board come that way or did you paint it? If painted, is there a special process/paint to do? May find it hard to believe, but I've never held a surfboard, so I don't know what the surface material is like. Assuming it can be painted... [font=Verdana]Dennis & Cathy, do you have any pictures? I checked member gallery, but couldn't find you. I'd like to see the windshield mount you made. [font=Verdana]Hey Bud, it took a while but I found Money Man Pawn shop's contact info, couldn't believe there are 10 locations in Charleston. I called & the lowest price board is $150. I like the $50 brand you mention in Wilmington, since my "budget in mind" was under $100. Do you mind passing along some contact info for the Wilmington shops and/or pawns? Thanks to all for the assist.... Image
surfnc

Surf board

Post by surfnc »

Bill, I am on the Outer Banks of NC and build surf boards. Here is one that I did for a charity auction that I used some of the extra metal flake that I used when I restored my Manx, to make a deck patch. Most boards are made out of foam with fiberglass laminated to it. If you pick up a used one that is dinged up you can usually fix it like you would fix a fiberglass buggy. You could then paint it as you would a fiberglass buggy. The soft foam boards are not as easily painted or repaired. I will look around and see what I have or can get. May be able to get you one for free but you would some how have to pick it up. They are somewhat expensive to ship. Also if you pick up an old 50's 60's or 70's board you might want to check what it is worth before you paint it. Some of those older boards are worth big money, $800-$2000. My buddy picked up a Hobie 9' longboard at a yard sale for $10 a few years ago and I know it is worth $800+ today. Image
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Thanks for the compliments. We found the board brand new form a source on e-Bay which I think is this place: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Triple-X-Perfor ... dZViewItem. It was around $125 4 years ago and they had a large selection which let us get a white bottom, black edges and a dark blue top which matched the car pretty good. BTW, I have been told we have the board mounted on the car upside down & back wards according to the experts. Oh well, we like it the way it is. Over 20,000 miles, 30 states and still trucking. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Bill, Let me call around to a few pawn shops in town and I'll see what I can find. It's been a couple of years since I've checked. I've been trying to meet up with Mike (MightyManx) for a while. He and I exchange emails and messages occasionally. We've swapped some parts also. Gary (Gary0302) and I are talking about taking in a cruise-in or show in Myrtle Beach this year. Maybe you and Mike can catch up with us there. Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

College surfing towns like Santa Cruz with the road side garage sales in the better weather are always good I found a couple for $20 I keep my eyes open during the summer Gene C #729
90volts

Post by 90volts »

have you tried craigslist? hey surfNC, you have a shop in outer banks? rent them? my son wanted to try it out.
63Fiberbuggy

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

One thing you can count on with Manx Club members....they step up & support each other! I appreciate all the info...where to start, SurfNC, I checked Tom/Kathleen & 90Volts suggested leads and found one in Charleston, SC (ad below). Can you tell if this is the "soft foam type", since I do want to paint it? Thanks for offering to look for me, I'll figure out a way to pick up, if you find one. Based on measurement between windshield & rollbar, I'll need around a 6' board - - if you see one. 6'3" surfboard for sale - $50 Reply to: sale-536935289@craigslist.org Date: 2008-01-12, 3:13PM EST WRV 6'3" surfboard for sale. It has taken its share of dings but they have all been repaired. It is an older board but good for a starter. Will throw in leash also. 2 and 3/16 inches thick. ImageImage Bud, I talk to Mike regularly, so I'll suggest we start lobbying our wives for the MB trip. Keep us informed for possible dates. Thank you also for offering to look for a board. I'll find a way to pick up...maybe at MB.
surfnc

Surf Board

Post by surfnc »

90volts I do not have a surf shop. I sell my boards direct or out of Corolla Surf Shop. You can rent a board from any of the surf shops here. Let me know next time you are down, I may have a board I can lend you and may be able to give your son some pointers. 63Fiberbuggy That is a fiberglass and foam board and can easily be painted with the proper prep work. You will want to scrape the wax off the deck and clean it with acetone before sanding. That board is only 6'3" and might be a little short for what you want to do. There may not be much area (pointy end) to strap down to your roll bar. Vince
surfnc

Surfboard Rack

Post by surfnc »

Some have asked how to mount a board to a buggy, here is what I came up with. ImageImageImage It is 2 side view mirror mounts with a length of 1" round aluminum stock bent and welded to them. You can use surfboard rack pads or pipe insulation to pad the board and bungie cords to keep the board in place. If anyone is interested in one PM me. This one cost me $70 total.