Has Anyone Ever Tried

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
L0084MC

Has Anyone Ever Tried

Post by L0084MC »

Has anyone ever tried to use an oven to bake on paint, on a part like aluminum valve covers or any other part. If so what temp and how long.
Carltons

Post by Carltons »

You need to pull the data sheet for the paint you are using. If the manufacturer recommends, or has a elevated temp cure then use it. If it is a catalyzed paint then cooking it will not buy you a thing (unless the mfg says to do it). except maybe a new set of covers. Elevated cures "usually" reduce cure time only. It does not make it harder. Carlton
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Safety first. Just make sure you don't ever cook foods in the oven you use. Things come out of the paint, get deposited on the insides of the oven and then come off the insides of the oven into your food. Get a second hand oven for your "bake on painting" use (can also be used for powder coating). Hook it up in your "work area" with a big, permanent sign that says "No Food Cooking".
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

Thanks Guys. It looks like I need to do some research on the subject and the paint. I have the oven. I was just thinking about it when I worked at a place that painted covers for a/c units. They painted them as they came down a line and went right into the oven. A real hard finish.
Carltons

Post by Carltons »

Thanks for the safety issues. I assumed a non food oven. Also flamability!!! Hot oven and solvents do not get along very well. Good Luck
Don Giovanoni

Brings back a Bad Memory

Post by Don Giovanoni »

I once ruined an apartment oven by baking a buggy header with VHT heat resistant paint. Ouch! :(
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

Well-----My wife had to have a new stove. Nothing wrong with the old one. But it is what it is. Come on guys I know some of you have been there. The old stove was taken to the garage until we could have it picked up. Then the idea come to me about the paint. I thought I might give it a try, So I thought I would check to see if anyone in the club has ever tried it. It seems to me that someone in this club has had some kind of experience, or tried most things at least once, good or bad. Usually wealth of information. Thanks for the input.