New Guy, New Project!

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
BuggyFaron

New Guy, New Project!

Post by BuggyFaron »

This is my project that I have been working on for just about 6 months. Let me know what you think? Image Image Image Image
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Lookin' good but I'm not sure how safe I'd feel with those low body sides. What body is it, I've never seen a rear end like that either; is it originally like that?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Interesting body. Do you know what it is (was)? The way that roll cage is mounted, is the body cut at the pan or does the body fit under the cage? The pic of your dad in the tree... That looks like a shortened beetle. Is it? Or is it just the camera? Anyway nice job and welcome to the club.
BuggyFaron

Post by BuggyFaron »

Lookin' good but I'm not sure how safe I'd feel with those low body sides. I will feel as safe in this buggy as I would any other buggy. I don't think fiberglass is going to stop much of anything with real force. I hope that did not come off like a know it all, because I am not. I am learning as I go! Interesting body. Do you know what it is (was)? Nope to be honest it was the very first one I found. I wish I had done some more looking, but hind sight is 20/20. HaHa Is it originally like that? Yes it is, I hope the fact that it so unusual makes it stand out. HaHa and not in an ugly way! The way that roll cage is mounted, is the body cut at the pan or does the body fit under the cage? The cage sits just inside the body on the pan. It has a backing plate, to help in case of a roll over. The pic of your dad in the tree... (Yes, Psyco Dad!) That looks like a shortened beetle. Is it? Or is it just the camera? Nope, its been shortened close to 14.5 inches! Anyway nice job and welcome to the club. Thanks a bunch! I will keep this up to date!
fubar

Post by fubar »

I think disc brakes and a nice roll cage = safer than drum brakes and a single bar..I have said before these things are not much safer than a motorcycle. They just hold more chicks!!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I think a bike is safer if you wear a helmet...
BuggyFaron

Post by BuggyFaron »

Yea I think that mine will be about the same as a motorcycle when I am finished! We all try to make them as safe as we can however, if its on the streets......They are pretty small! I have never rode in one! I am looking forward to it!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I never rode in a buggy either until I finished mine. Heres a thread about that experence. http://www.meyersmanx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2529&highlight=addict
BuggyFaron

Post by BuggyFaron »

Check it out! It finally looks like a "something" as my Kids put it. This is the Wheels & Tires from my donor car, but at least I can wheel it in and out of my garage. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Image Image Image Image
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

That is a unique body, I like the angles. You might want to consider tying the rear trans mount into your roll cage. It would really take a lot of flex out of the chassis and make the buggy feel much more solid going down the road.
fubar

Post by fubar »

I like the "X" in the top of the cage. Did you bend it up yourself?
BuggyFaron

Another update!

Post by BuggyFaron »

I just got it back from having the front & rear bumpers made. It seems to be coming along very SLOW. But I will finish it when I do. Its not to pretty to look at yet, but I keep the faith that it will some day! Please let me know what you think, you will not hurt my feelings! Image Image Image Image
BuggyFaron

Post by BuggyFaron »

I borrowed a wheel and tire from the dealership that I work at. I am going to go with Off-Road tires, but wanted to get opinions. I was thinking of going with something that is not widely used in the Dune Buggy world. I am thinking of using 19 inch wheels with low-profile off road tires in the back, and 16 inch with low profile off road tires up front. What are your opinions, don't hold back! Image Image
CoKev

Post by CoKev »

Well, since you asked :D , Your braces/ downtubes on your front bumper seem rather wide apart. Kinda easy for a rock or suicidal raccoon to do some real damage. As for the tires, thats kinda cutting edge, and I'm not, so Yuck, Bleah, No way! Seriously, tire sidewall flex is a decent part of how these light weight cars ride,(most don't run much psi), and those low profile tires don't have much flex. Just my :2cents: , but you did ask :cool: Oh yea, love the cage!
fubar

Post by fubar »

Tires are easy to change. I think something a little wider would look good.