East Coast Event?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
surfnc

East Coast Event?

Post by surfnc »

As for sponsors, the company I work for (Village Realty) would more than likely help out.  I will know better when the person in charge of that kind of stuff gets back form vacation next week.  They sponsor stuff like Bike Week and advertise on thier facebook page as well as their other web outlets.

It may not be know here (Manx Forum) but the Outer Banks is mainly private beach houses that are rented out during the season.  There are a few hotels and motels but most of the rentals are houses.  In the off season Sept 15 on till mid April houses are very reasonable and can be rented for the weekend.  They can sleep 10-30 people depending on the size (they could even be ocean front and we could all meet on the beach in front of it and have a cook out on the beach).  Village Realty is very interetsed in promoting the area and their services.  I am sure depending on the amount of people we could arrange to get a few houses near each other (reasonable rate) and have a great time.

As far as food, my good freinds at The Outer Banks Brewing Station would more than likely be willing to help us out with a good deal on the food, a large room to meet and eat, and a big parking lot to do the "show and shine" or just hang out.

Oh and I wanted to say the we could call it "Manx on the Banx" since the area is know as OBX with is spelled out Outer BanX.

I can get much firmer commitments when I know how many people and what they are looking for. (ex: accomadations, food etc)

Vince
73SpeedBuggy

East Coast Event?

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

surfnc wrote:Adam
Have you been down already?   If not let me know.
Yeah, we pretty much go down there every September.  I was planning on bringing my manxter last month and was going to look you up, but I ended up having a fuel injector go bad the day before and couldn't get a replacment in time.
louisb

East Coast Event?

Post by louisb »

Okay, lets pick a date. When do you guys want to do this?

--louis
Tom-Kathleen

East Coast Event?

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

As Bob Hunter mentioned, you don't need to make money at an event, but you cannot lose a lot of money either.  I often hear from members that do not attend events that they are supporting those events.  Bob makes money on his events & reinvests it for the next events.  Bottom line is - if you don't attend events, it is not costing you money.

When you do pick a date for this event, someone should contact Bruce & Winnie and invite them to the event. 

When you need money to get this event going, I am the Treasurer for the club, so contact me and I will take care of it.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
surfnc

East Coast Event?

Post by surfnc »

For dates the first week Sept 30-Oct2 would be fine, though it is still busy here. (people, traffic etc)
The second week Oct7-9 is the annual Builders Parade of Homes, fairly busy with many home owners coming down.
The third and fourth week look the best Oct14-16 and Oct 21-23.
The last week Oct28-30 would work but it may be a little cold.

With all that said, since I live here I can be ready anytime.  It would be great to get Bruce and Winnie out and the date may depend on when they are available.

As for shirts, there are 3 local screen printers that could do the work and may be able to get sponsors to offset the cost.
louisb

East Coast Event?

Post by louisb »

I like Oct 14-16. Any other votes? Should we check to see if Bruce and Winnie would like to attend and if they have a preference? If they come, we would probably need to round up a buggy for them to use. Anyone got a spare? Maybe Tom can get the Kickout done by then. ;) Speaking of I need to get my butt out in the garage and get some progress done on my buggy. I would hate to help organize this and then not have a buggy to drive.

Before we get into shirts we probably need to get a name and a logo for the event. What do we want to call this thing?

I was looking at some of the fliers for the west coast events and they look really nice. Who does those?

Here is what I am thinking of for a meet agenda:

Friday Afternoon - Check in and maybe we do a social mixer/dinner/parking lot show at the Brewery.

Saturday Morning - Coffee & Donuts then we go cruising followed by a lunch at a restaurant.

Saturday Afternoon - Free time to check out the local area. For those that are interested maybe we could do a geocaching run too.

Saturday Night - Pot luck & Bonfire on the beach. I am thinking the club provide the protein, burgers & dogs or bbq to keep it cheap, and the drinks and club members bring sides and desserts. We would need a place that has grills and a bonfire area.

Sunday Morning - Coffee & Donuts and ?

From this the club would need to pay for breakfast Sat & Sun and the protein, drinks Sat night and maybe wood for the bonfire if someone can't donate that.

I figure folks will be leaving on Sunday so I am not sure if we want to schedule some activities or not. How does that look? Suggestions?

--louis
Last edited by louisb on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5150bossman

East Coast Event?

Post by 5150bossman »

Adam, for those that are unable to bring a dish prepared at home, or cook a dish at a camp site, it's OK to go to the grocery store just before and buy a pre-prepared dish/salad/dessert, or even go to the local pizza joint and buy something etc.  The great thing about the pot luck is that it is self-sizing, so you have plenty of food if you have 12 people, or 50+ people show up.

Louis, to me, that appears to be an ambitious run schedule.  Keep in mind, people often want to do their own thing for much of the time and not have too much scripted out (I do love the enthusiasm though!).  I believe that the saturday runs are estimated to be no more than 5 or 6 hours long total (Depart at 9, back by 2 or 3, as most West Coast runs are off-road and can get substantially delayed for various reasons).  Keep in mind that a large group travels much slower than a small (pre-run) group, and you need to figure in the probability of breakdowns (using Winnie's Usher system to keep the group together in that eventuality - everybody got their CB's installed yet?!).  So a 3 to 4 hour pre-run can easily turn into a 6+ hour event run, with lunch on the trail, and you want to get back in time for people to clean off the trail dust and prep/cook for the potluck or their own dinners.  And if you break the group up into various runs to keep the size down (street, off-road, extreme off-road, geo-cache run etc.) they will all encounter different things, and get back at a wide variety of different times.  If a group has a buggy with a major malfunction on the road, that group might not make it back in time to make the after lunch run departure.  An easy sunday morning run for a couple of hours is always appreciated too.  Just keep in mind that check-out in most places is around 11 or 12, so you need to give people time to get back and pack up.  And other folks might want to arrive a day or two early, or stay a day or two late to explore on their own, or put together an unofficial run with a small group.  The possibilities are endless!  So far as the club providing food for the Saturday dinner, the funds are typically collected per person who are planning to attend the dinner as either pay-in-advance when you pay the run fee, or pay at the door so the club does not have to incur the costs as it can get expensive to feed a large number of people.  The club does always cover the coffee and doughnuts/bagels for the mornings.

There are a million things to think about.  The more you can look into, the better prepared you will be to handle any potential issues.  I am excited for you all even though I am on the opposite coast and won't be able to make it myself.
louisb

East Coast Event?

Post by louisb »

Maybe we can do the geocache run on Sunday and just have free time Sat afternoon.

The Friday night thing would just be a meet and greet in the parking lot. People could check in, get something to eat and check out the buggies in the parking lot. Pretty low key and give folks a chance to meet everyone.

--louis
Last edited by louisb on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73SpeedBuggy

East Coast Event?

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

louisb wrote:Maybe we can do the geocache run on Sunday and just have free time Sat afternoon.

The Friday night thing would just be a meet and greet in the parking lot. People could check in, get something to eat and check out the buggies in the parking lot. Pretty low key and give folks a chance to meet everyone.

--louis
I like that plan Louis.. I'd also suggest an off road and an on road run simultaneously.  I can run the on road one if you'd like (parts of my Manxter have maybe 4" of ground clearance so it's not even going on the beach).    As for a name for it, Vince already suggested a very good one.. Manx on the Banx !
louisb

East Coast Event?

Post by louisb »

How about Buggies on the OBX? (Not everyone drives a Manx.) I like Manx on the Banx too.

Yeah I was thinking we would need an off and on road cruise. I actually even had you in mind for the on road cruise I just had not brought it up yet. We need to find someone for the beach/off road cruse as well, preferably someone who knows the area. Adam, why don't you start to think of a route and how long it will take. As soon as we identify someone for the off road portion, we can have them do the same. Any volunteers?

--louis
73SpeedBuggy

East Coast Event?

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

louisb wrote:How about Buggies on the OBX? (Not everyone drives a Manx.) I like Manx on the Banx too.

Yeah I was thinking we would need an off and on road cruise. I actually even had you in mind for the on road cruise I just had not brought it up yet. We need to find someone for the beach/off road cruse as well, preferably someone who knows the area. Adam, why don't you start to think of a route and how long it will take. As soon as we identify someone for the off road portion, we can have them do the same. Any volunteers?

--louis
The only real decision to make for the on road portion is how far to go., ferry ride or no ferry ride, and if were we'd stop at.  I'll start looking into the ferry schedules and load capacities but I'll need a better idea of how many buggies to expect before I do much.

As for Manx on the Banx, it IS an official Manx Club event so I think it's still appropriate.   I didn't have a real Manx until this summer and it wouldn't have bothered me when I had my Citation.
louisb

East Coast Event?

Post by louisb »

I think 3 to 4 hours for the cruise would be sufficient. You might want to check and see where a place to stop for lunch would be located. I doubt we can get both cruises to end at the same time and place so each cruise will probably eat lunch at different locations.

Lets go with Manx on the Banx then. For a logo I was kind of thinking of a head on shot of a Manx style buggy with OBX on the front license plate. If we can keep the logo black & white it will keep the costs of the shirts down. Vince, you still do vinyl lettering? Think you could make some stickers up for the cruise with the logo on it if it was simple enough? Something like the oval OBX stickers?

--louis
5150bossman

East Coast Event?

Post by 5150bossman »

I don't know the area, but a ferry ride sounds like fun so long as it isn't too long time wise (I would think no longer than 30 to 40 minutes - don't forget time for staging, loading and unloading adds to the length of the run, because people will want to be driving their buggies, not watch them parked for too long), and you can link up with where you need to go/finish without the need for a return trip.  Depending on the size of the ferry and the number of buggies going, you might want to pre-plan the crossing with the ferry company before hand so some of the group doesn't get left behind because the ferry was full when the group got there.

So far as a logo, you could have a logo contest, and the best logo get's put on the shirt.  I prefer a small breast pocket logo on the front, and a full back logo, but the exact layout/style is up to you.  A two or three color shirt isn't that much more expensive than a one color shirt.  Just shop around your local screen printing establishments for the best price.  Mojave Mel has done several shirts for runs.  Maybe you could pick his brain for what is required.   Try to get the best quality shirt you can afford, as people will want to wear the shirt on an every day basis for years to come, and a cheap shirt will quickly fall apart.

You might also want to think about a laminated refrigerator magnet too.  They are cheap and easy to make.  You just need a good photo to use, and a little computer time to put it together.
Last edited by 5150bossman on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
louisb

East Coast Event?

Post by louisb »

Thanks for the input. I will keep that in mind. I like the idea of a logo contest. Maybe we could get a blurb put in Mania so it goes out to all of the membership.

--louis
surfnc

East Coast Event?

Post by surfnc »

As for the road run it takes about an hour and a half to get from Nags Head to the ferry docks.  In the off season they run on the hour with a 30 car capacity and the trip to Ocracoke is about 40 minutes. Here is a link with more info:
http://www.hatteras-nc.com/ferry/

I could run the off road up to Corolla and possibly see the wild horses.  The trip up there is about 45-60 minutes (hard pavement) than about an hour beach run.  If time is too short we can (road) run on the beach road and (off road) on the beach in the Nags Head - Kill Devil Hills area.

I can get all the wood we need for the bond fire and the First Colony Inn has a big yard and patio area for the cook out.  I can borrow or rent enough grills to take care of everyone.

I still do vinyl work and am working on a logo that I can do stickers out of.  With that said I think a contest is a great idea!!

Louis if you want to come up in the Spring we have a car show before St Patricks day and a parade on Sunday.  You are welcome to stay with me or I am sure I can arrange a deal at the First Colony.