Some essential extra parts to take along

The How-to guide for extended travel in your buggy. Share your tips, tools, extra parts, and equipment.
Gene-C

Some essential extra parts to take along

Post by Gene-C »

Just recently I took a  road  trip which was about 400 miles
about 1/2 way heading home I could smell something burning. It smelled funny almost like an electrical fire
I pulled over to check and I found nothing and then all of a sudden the smke started pluming from my rear drum.
Ouch! We were in cattle country about 60 miles from even cell service. I was just breaking out the jack when a rancher pulled up n his quad
and asked what was wrong. I guess not too many people stop so he came out. I told him it looked like something wrong in the drum so I was about to take it off.
He said " I've got my shop right over here and it has air and a fllor jack plus anything else that may help, you welcome to use it". That took all of a blink of an eye fo me say "sure" and limped the car over to his shop. We took out his floor jack and  brought out his impact gun and the wheel was off.

This is what came out, My rear bearings were fried

So here we are in the middle of nowwhere,
with a car that was unmovable
and then a light came on," Hey I've got the bearings in my parts bag"
as a matter of fact I had the tools and the parts. Even the rancher was impressed a couple of hours later we were on the road.
It didn't matter if I was on the street or off road, the problem and location could of been anywhere.
So if your traveling  overnight or on an extended trip
here are a few essentials that I don't think you should leave behind and they do not take up much room at all

1. Front Bearing set with gaskets and cotter pin
2  Rear Bearing set
3, Grease - I had some CV Grease in packets that stored easy  in a small peanut butter jar and just cutting a small corner made it easy to apply- semi clean too
4  extra  CV joint ( if your running IRS)   + the socket to take it off
5 Axle nut removal tool- I use this torque one which make life a lot easier that the flat nut removal tool

6. extra rear drum which I keep in my spare tire to save space
7. axle boot or rag with duct tape
8  rags and hand cleaner

I have seen bearing and drum problems happen consistantly on runs  so I thought I might as well carry a few things just in case
and these items fit easily in your parts bag with a minimal of space.
well it sure paid off   
Last edited by Gene-C on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.