Over night storage

The How-to guide for extended travel in your buggy. Share your tips, tools, extra parts, and equipment.
Gene-C

Over night storage

Post by Gene-C »

I do a lot of traveling overnight in my buggy staying at motels to hotels
I like to have my stuff locked up and out of sight in the Cities and towns
It gets a little old hauling all your gear to the 3rd floor and then back in the morning
I would love to have a new Manx trunk

But with my set up a luggage carrier was the call.
Its light weight, keeps the weather out and I can lock it up

Roof racks are great but you need to keep your eye on your car when your in the resturuant and still have to haul all your gear in at night

Last edited by Gene-C on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom-Kathleen

Over night storage

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

We have travelled extensively with Kathleen's Manxter and had to leave it in many hotel/motel parking lots overnight. We have several layers of security.
1) master disconect (hidden) which kills all the electrical power.
2) locking Gene Berg shifter (locks in reverse).
3) wheel locks and run a cable through the wheels and to a post, tree or sign if available.
4) We cover the car, so without looking, they don't know what it is.
5) We try to park as close as possible to the office, so the overnight crew can see the car, and we ask them to keep an eye on it.
6) We tried an alarm that goes off when the car is moved and sent the signal to a remote, but it wouldn't work correctly, we are still working on this. 
7) We have the later model bug steering colum, and we turn the wheels and lock it with the front end facing the curb, so you need a flatbed to take it away.
8) When we take really long trips, we have a locking storage area in the back seat area.  See here http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album254 for details.

If theives show up with a flat bed and drag it up, before we get the proper alarm, that would probably be the only way to get it.             Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)