MANX 1 (-2)

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
rgreason

MANX 1 (-2)

Post by rgreason »

Have an opportunity to purchase a Manx 1 with -2 at the end of the serial number which I am really excited about.  Read on the Samba that the -2 was a combination of a Manx 1 body with a one piece Manx 2 hood and fiberglass dash.  Emailed Winnie and she wasn't sure, but thought it might be something that the dealership did.  Anybody have any feedback out there,...more curious than anything.  Thank you.
CairoManx

MANX 1 (-2)

Post by CairoManx »

Yes, I believe the Manx -2 had the Manx 2 hood and dash but also the
battery and spare tire wells and reinforcing tubes under the sides.
Richard Brown has one I believe and I have a body/hood without the tag
and there are others around. I believe the -2 was put on at the factory.

I'm curious, does yours have an M or an A serial number prefix? What month and year was it?
Last edited by CairoManx on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manxdavid

MANX 1 (-2)

Post by manxdavid »

I think I've always assumed that Manx 2's should have had the larger badge shield and deeper dash moulded to hood combined with a shell devoid of battery and spare tire mouldings, and Manx -2  kits came about when they'd ran out of Manx 2 shells for some reason and they just supplied a Manx 1 shell combined with a Manx 2 hood rather than loose the sale. Either that or some newbie in the factory picked the order wrongly while Bruce was out at lunch???Image
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
CairoManx

MANX 1 (-2)

Post by CairoManx »

manxdavid

MANX 1 (-2)

Post by manxdavid »

A good buy for someone, it's got a fair few holes in it but nothing too serious, you've got to wonder what some of them were cut for though!

It looks like the -2 was a customer option for those who prefered the Manx 2's dash set up?

They've got much more space behind for a later speedometer c/w fuel guage and make fitting the wiper mechanism a whole lot easier.
Last edited by manxdavid on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
CairoManx

MANX 1 (-2)

Post by CairoManx »

I think the flat back seat was the best thing about the Manx 2. Beside the IRS, they had an angle iron bar that ran all the way across under the back seat. It fully supported the body and tied the cast rear shock mounts together like the center section of a torque bar. 
manxdavid

MANX 1 (-2)

Post by manxdavid »

CairoManx wrote:I think the flat back seat was the best thing about the Manx 2. Beside the IRS, they had an angle iron bar that ran all the way across under the back seat. It fully supported the body and tied the cast rear shock mounts together like the center section of a torque bar. 
X2...the spare tire sump on a Manx 1 was seldom used anyway, you couldn't stow a tire there and drive if you were much over 5 feet tall...Image