Spare tire mount.

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
64-manx

Spare tire mount.

Post by 64-manx »

Does anyone have a picture of a spare tire mount for an early Manx.
Thanks.
jsturtlebuggy

Spare tire mount.

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I have to see if it shows on the Manx instructions that came with my old AMT MeyersManx model I no longer have. I see if I can find them.

The spare tire kit bracket did come with the Classic Manx kit. I sure it is in the instruction book that came with the kit.

There are at least several people that post here have them.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
jsturtlebuggy

Spare tire mount.

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I found the instruction, but there is no detail on the spare tire mount. I really hope that some will be able to give you and answer since this is the Manx site and your are asking a question about a Manx.

Honestly you may have to go to another site such as the Samba to fine an answer.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
DIESELDOOG

Spare tire mount.

Post by DIESELDOOG »

There is a copy of the original MANX build instructions at:  http://www.tjkustoms.com/pdf/Manx.pdf

In doing a quick scan I do not see a reference to the spare tire mounting hardware. 

I seem to remember a bracket that attached to the fiberglass tub. This bracket had a carriage bolt that
secured the spare tire.

More recently there was a bracket in the Classic/Siggy kits that was very close to the original in design. 
This bracket is displayed of Classic/Siggy parts display board in Bruce's warehouse in Valley Center. 

I am looking for a picture of this item to post.

I have looked at hundreds of Manx or copies of a Manx and can only remember about a dozen that had a
spare tire.  I can not recall any that had the original bracket installed.  As I remember it was a bit awkward
when used for a non-VW spare tire.  In any event it certainly is not a thing to cause a knot in the builder/
restorer's shorts.

Last edited by DIESELDOOG on Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
64-manx

Spare tire mount.

Post by 64-manx »

Thanks,
I need to fab one that is close to the original. My NOS kit didn't have it when I bought the kit.
manxter26

Spare tire mount.

Post by manxter26 »

64 Manx,

I'm digging out all of the pieces for Signature Manx #26. All of my hardware is still in its original packages and I'm sure the spare tire mount is in there also. It might be this weekend, but I'll be taking some pictures of the car and I'll try to snap a shot or two of the mount.

Jay
ManxRob

Spare tire mount.

Post by ManxRob »

I have an original spare tire mount. I'll dig it out and post pictures & deminsions this weekend.

Rob
64-manx

Spare tire mount.

Post by 64-manx »

Thanks.
64-manx

Spare tire mount.

Post by 64-manx »

Do you happen to have a picture of the part that goes into the bracket that holds the tire in place?

Thanks.
DIESELDOOG

Spare tire mount.

Post by DIESELDOOG »

That particular piece is a "carriage bolt". 

They are available at most retail farm or building outlets, like Fleet/Farm, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc. 

You will need a washer and a wing nut device to hold the spare tire tight. 

The length of the bolt depends on the dimensions of the spare tire, The fatter the tire, the longer the bolt needs to be.

I believe that the original design was for a "wide 5" VW spare tire. If using a fatter tire on an American style rim you may have a fitment problem.
Lee-Hoffer

Spare tire mount.

Post by Lee-Hoffer »

The piece of rubber under the wingnut keeps it from rattling and squeaking.  The three nuts to the right of the spare tire mount go to the metal body support bracket that attaches to the upper shock mount.  From the looks of the picture, I need to clean my spare tire.  Image