The Test Bench ... Rebuiling a Manx from a website !!

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

Ok so with the soon to be opened online Meyers Manx Australia Shop we decided that if we were going to sell bolt on buggy parts then we better damn well make sure they fit and work with minimal hassle and perform as stated.

So where to start ... with an ugly buggy of course. I picked this one up a while ago and it has just been sitting and waiting for its day in the shed. Of course it is registered as a Meyers Manx .... hmmm I think not but I will soon fix that.

Just to show there is no smoke and mirrors I will keep an accurate build cost below.

Buggy Build Costings:
- Original Ugly Buggy with papers - $1250
- MMA Offroad Floor Pan BJ / IRS - $2750 ( checker floor option and 3" lift)
- MMA Level 1 kit - $3619
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

So the build rules I have set for myself are very simple, if I can't do it with basic home garage sort of tools then we need to sell the bit on the Meyers Manx Website.

The aim is to ensure when we say that we carry all the stuff you need to build a Buggy ... we actually do and it works.

So to start with the Donor buggy was killed many years ago. I kept the pan with the intent of one day building a Manx on it. That day has now come.

I decided that the general home garage guy probably wouldn't shorten their own pan so I have given the pan to Custom Offroad to shorten and put new floor halves in.

All that being said I will post pics of stuff getting done as everyone loves pics .

So the pan is an IRS / Ball Joint Pan.

Well the body is out and with some luck will meet with the new pan soon enough.

louisb

Post by louisb »

Is that a new shell? Keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks,

--louis
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

louisb wrote:Is that a new shell? Keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks,

--louis
Yeah it is a new shell from the old Mold. I have permission to sell the Manx SWB Bodies down here in Australia since I already own the mold and the trade mark Image. Body is now on the pan, I will get some pics when the sun comes up.

Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

Ok so the build continues. The Floor Pan is done. Its specs are:

IRS

Ball Joint

Manx Australia Custom Fllor kit with intergrated lift

181 Front end with Custom Offroad Disc Kit

2L Kombi Box

Type 2 CV Kit ( inner and outer)

Sandblasted and 2 Pak black.

You will have to excuse the dust I have been cutting fibreglass.

My mate has also been trying to convince me that I really should build a street manx.

Cool but I don't think so.
louisb

Post by louisb »

Looking good. I want your body, er, I mean the buggy body. :D

Wish the Meyers were still doing the original style bodies.

--louis
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

wow has been a while since I posted an update. It seems that setting up Meyers Manx Australia and buying a heap of Manxters is a lot more effort than I thought.

I will try and get some better / more pictures today.

In a nut shell the Liberty is gone and the engine is sitting on the floor of the shop. The Manx Body is bolted down to the floor pan and the rear end is in mock up stage. We have the main hoop bent and sitting in place and I can now sit in the back and see through the screen.

The front seats which are MX5 have been fitted to a set of CFAB universal seat bases. These allow the MX5 seats to drop straight into a VW and keep them as low as possible.

From here I will bolt in the seat bases and then mount the Liberty steering column using a CFAB column mount kit. Once that is done then the front and rear hoopes can be fabricated.