which cragar for my manx ?

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
villemi

which cragar for my manx ?

Post by villemi »

Hello

I'd like to buy cragar wheels for my 1970 Manx.
which cragar for my vintage buggy ?

Cragar Series 08/61 S/S Super Sport ?
Cragar Series 61C - Chrome S/S Super Sport Direct Drill 2-Piece Composite Chrome Plated Steel Rim with Aluminum Center ?
Cragar Vintage 1-Piece ?
joescoolcustoms

Re: which cragar for my manx ?

Post by joescoolcustoms »

My opinion, I would go with the one piece rims. The two piece rims are made up of dissimilar metals, and that is why the centers always corroded.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

The only concern is they were sold back in 70's with a slotted universal bolt pattern. meaning you would use an oblong washer to designate the bolt pattern and then a lug nut. This set up was prone to always loosen. so you would constantly have to check them for tightness,(like every time you went for a ride). if you have the option to buy them for a direct bolt pattern do so. A friend of mine loves to recall his story of seeing his rear wheel crager passing him in a rotary (round about).
villemi

Post by villemi »

My Cragar SS have uni lug system. (for 5x4.5" ; 5x4.75"; 5x5")

Do you use hub-centric rings ? If yes which diameter for front and rear drums ?
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

The offset washers are available, check with a major wheel distributor to find out who to order them from!!! I too like the one piece wheels... much stronger!!! Older original Crager S/S wheels in the sizes you might want are out there, but expect to pay a premium price for them!!! Cragers are cool, but my all time favorite are the American 5 spoke mag wheels!!! They are one piece all aluminum & they make new ones in a variety of widths & tire sizes!!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
villemi

Post by villemi »

But is it necessary tu use hub-centric rings ? If yes which diameter for front and rear drums ?

http://www.hubcentric-rings.com/

joescoolcustoms

Post by joescoolcustoms »

villemi wrote:But is it necessary tu use hub-centric rings ? If yes which diameter for front and rear drums ?

http://www.hubcentric-rings.com/

VW drums are not hub centric. There are a few aftermarket front disc sets that have a hub, but may not be set up for hub centric.

Those cragers are set up for the Unilug washers. Two types of washers, both Oval, but one has a hole dead center, the other has the hole to one end so it can be used for the largest or smallest diameter patterns just by changing orientation.

They are what they are, 60's technology.
villemi

Post by villemi »

On the Cragar's website I've found the : "Aftermarket Wheel Installation Guidelines" with the chapter ; Hub centering Rings