Our Manx (non-restoration) budget build thread

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
jhkinca

Our Manx (non-restoration) budget build thread

Post by jhkinca »

So I am the new guy here and wanted to get our Manx back to its original gelcoat, make it reliable, and not spend a bunch of money. Here is how it looked the day we bought it. Image
Although running, the crank/ flywheel dowels had play and made an awful knocking sound. The old tired 1600cc Dual port was dropped off and grew up to be a 1904cc simple stroker engine. The goal was for good torque and reliability. Image
While waiting for the engine to be built, I began to strip the red and purple paint. Using Citristrip (4 large containers) and a lot of elbow grease. The buggy is now down to the original blue metal flake gelcoat. It's a bit rough in spots but I prefer the original over an old crappy repaint.ImageImage
Pictures make it look better than it really is but I'm ok with the results thus far.
Next was attempting to remove multiple layers of paint from the original ABS dash. FYI- all strippers made the ABS soft and didn't work. After 2 weeks and 4 cans of Easy Off oven cleaner the paint is gone and no damage to the original texture. Just needs some Armor All to give it a shine.ImageImage

More updates and progress to come soon!!!
John & Sonya Kieslich
jhkinca

Re: Our Manx (non-restoration) budget build thread

Post by jhkinca »

With safety in mind the following items are on order;

PRP Roadster seats (Manx store)
New seat mounts (Manx store)
New 4 point seat belts (Nexgen)
New mirrors that mount on winshield frame (Nexgen)
John & Sonya Kieslich
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

That's awesome that your gel-coat was that nice. Sure, the pictures may make it nicer than it really is, but that's a ton better than the paint, and my vote would be to keep it as you have it now. Amazing job on the abs dash as well. You're well on your way to a very nice buggy!!
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Seats arrived Friday and I couldn't be happier with the colors. Thanks to Winnie for suggesting the Manx logo on the headrest. Time to get working!!!

John & Sonya Kieslich
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

WOW... looking good!!! The gelcoat may not be perfect, but it looks great!!! Your hard work has really paid off!!!
We bought our original Meyers Manx in Dec. 98 & I completely rebuilt her & it only took 21 months!!! LOL !!! Her name is Xena!!! LOL Since then, we've driven her a little over 87,000 miles in 16 years & never had one problem!!! And... in the last 3 years we haven't driven her much at all!!! Hope to get a few changes done & then we'll be out & about again!!!
Merry Christmas & hope to see y'all on the trail!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Free time during the holidays is rare but seats are now done. Very comfortable, safe feeling, and both are adjustable now :)

John & Sonya Kieslich
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Just looked at Lorettas history; top notch and beautiful finished product. Be a few years before our blue buggy looks that good.
abgiles wrote:That's awesome that your gel-coat was that nice. Sure, the pictures may make it nicer than it really is, but that's a ton better than the paint, and my vote would be to keep it as you have it now. Amazing job on the abs dash as well. You're well on your way to a very nice buggy!!
John & Sonya Kieslich
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

21 months to complete? Wow, that's fast... I'm on the multi year plan :)
ManxManiac wrote:WOW... looking good!!! The gelcoat may not be perfect, but it looks great!!! Your hard work has really paid off!!!
We bought our original Meyers Manx in Dec. 98 & I completely rebuilt her & it only took 21 months!!! LOL !!! Her name is Xena!!! LOL Since then, we've driven her a little over 87,000 miles in 16 years & never had one problem!!! And... in the last 3 years we haven't driven her much at all!!! Hope to get a few changes done & then we'll be out & about again!!!
Merry Christmas & hope to see y'all on the trail!!
John & Sonya Kieslich
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

jhkinca wrote:Just looked at Lorettas history; top notch and beautiful finished product. Be a few years before our blue buggy looks that good.
abgiles wrote:That's awesome that your gel-coat was that nice. Sure, the pictures may make it nicer than it really is, but that's a ton better than the paint, and my vote would be to keep it as you have it now. Amazing job on the abs dash as well. You're well on your way to a very nice buggy!!

I wish I could take credit for the work, but obviously, it was way beyond my skills. With as much as you've already completed, I doubt it will take too much longer to finish up (although they are truly never finished), and have on the road. Beautiful job so far. I love those seats!
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

I, like so many others found the Manx Facebook and rarely come to this site. So here are a few updates;
Found a used but good condition Skat shifter for $30. What a difference and money well spent

John & Sonya Kieslich
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Time to put matching rims on the buggy; I have acquired a full set of VW smoothies 15x5 and 15x10.
Time to clean them up, paint them to match rear bumper and roll bar, and get some appropriate tires. Then of course finish off the look with chrome dome VW hubcaps.

John & Sonya Kieslich