-2 Manx (dash 2)

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
CairoManx

-2 Manx (dash 2)

Post by CairoManx »

This is something I should have caught earlier because its pretty damn obvious, but I just figured out that probably all of the last Manx 1s (M prefix serial numbers) which were made from January 70 through June 70, when they finally quit making Manx 1s, were all -2s. In those six months there were about 94 Manx 1s made, serial # M3332-M3426. I have pictures of the serial number tags of about half a dozen of these.

In my defense, in the registry only a couple of those I've seen say -2. However when it doesn't always say -2, in all except one case there is a - at the end of the serial number. The reason it doesn't say -2 is there wasn't a extra column for that last digit. The couple in the registry which say -2, their whole serial was shifted one digit farther to the left than all the others.

To further explain this, its apparent that the -2 wasn't an option you could special order, what it was is that in January 1970, B.F. Meyers & Co. totally quit putting the ABS dash and metal dash frames on all Meyers Manxes. They distinguished these Manx 1s from the previous type by adding the -2 at the end of their serial number.

Re: -2 Manx (dash 2)

Post by 1856 »

Great info... Thanks for being on top of it.
MnC
CairoManx

Re: -2 Manx (dash 2)

Post by CairoManx »

This Aug 69 Manx 1 just came up on Craigslist. It doesn't say -2 but that's what it is. Its a Manx 1 with a Manx 2 hood and dash. They started putting -2 at the end of the tag number on all the Manx 1s with Manx 2 hood/dash in Jan 70, but it looks like they started putting the Manx 2 hood/dash on them a couple months before that

Manx 1 tag

Manx 1 body

Manx 2 hood

Manx 2 dash