Time-line and Variety of Meyers Manx Nose Badges

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
rzeller

Time-line and Variety of Meyers Manx Nose Badges

Post by rzeller »

Edited - 20 Aug 18 (with Nelson's help)- I'm going to update this thread as I learn new information or get additional pictures;

I thought I'd take a stab at creating a timeline (looking for others to fill in the accurate dates and/or gaps) of the various nose badges that appear or appeared on the Meyers Manx kits. I'll start with what I have personal pictures of plus some "borrowed" photos. Please contribute. You may PM me if you like with information and/or pictures.

Original/early small box (tail) and Manx I kits (1965-67?): Foil sticker: The first foil backed sticker would have gone on the first Manx with a raised bump on the hood. That would have been the first floorpan Manx, November 1965

Manx I kits. Large plastic badge with the "circle R": The plastic emblem replaced the foil back sticker sometime in 1967, probably late summer to fall time frame. The earliest picture of a plastic emblem are seen on George Haddock's Manx at the start of the first NORRA Mexican (Baja) 1000, in November 1967. Picture of George Haddock's Manx before the start of the 67 Mexican(Baja) 1000 clearly shows the plastic emblem. George was the Manx dealer in Santa Ana, the closest Manx dealer to the B.F. Meyers & Co. factory on Birch St in Newport Beach. He also built turn key Manxes, so he probably was one of the very first to get a Manx body with the new nose badge. Bruce Meyers gold metalfllake car, that he raced in the 67 Baja with the #1, is behind Haddock's buggy.
The last plastic emblem (of this vintage) that came new on a Meyers Manx was put on the Utility Manx. Period photos show it on the Lifeguard Manx even though they all have Manx 2 hoods. The Utility Manxes all have 4 digit tags and were probably made very late in 1970 or in early 1971.

967 887 5176

Manx II kits vinyl sticker: The Manx 2 sticker eventually replaced the plastic sticker, however the very first Manx 2s actually had the Manx 1 style hood with the plastic emblem. The first Manx 2 sticker may have been sold March or April 1969. However the Manx 1 continued to be made and sold concurrently until June 70.

Variants of the Manx II original nose stickers
4206 4178

Reproduction Manx II stickers currently available from Meyers Manx
4177 966

Meyers Manx SR Kits: Cast in a stainless steel alloy of some kind.

First generation reproduction badges (Introduced ~1998/9): Large plastic badge with three pins on the back. No trademark symbol or Bruce's Signature :wink: These badges were only available to authenticated Manx buggies and the Signature Series kits:

(bottom pin missing/broken off in the picture below)
958 968

Second generation reproduction badges (~2012 - present day): Billet aluminum or large plastic badge without pins on the back. Has a "circle C". These badges are only available to authenticated Manx buggies:
964 963

962 960

Manxter and Kickout kits (dates?)
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Surf58

Re: Time-line and Variety of Meyers Manx Nose Badges

Post by Surf58 »

Nice bit of work Bud. Here is my contribution... our early Manx 1 ordered in late summer 1966 and picked-up at the Newport Beach factory in December 1966 came with the sticker only. From what I have read there was about "150 or so" sticker only Manx kits made before going to the plastic badge. Our kit is #102 as we were told at the factory upon pick-up.

CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Bud, sorry I didn't notice the message until just now. Here is some more info on the subject

The first foil backed sticker would have gone on the first Manx with a raised bump on the hood. That would have been the first floorpan Manx, which was made @ November 1965.

The plastic emblem replaced the foil back sticker sometime in 1967, probably late summer to fall time frame. The earliest picture of a plastic emblem I've seen was on George Haddock's Manx at the start of the first NORRA Mexican (Baja) 1000, in November 1967.

The Manx 2 sticker eventually replaced the plastic sticker, however the very first Manx 2s actually had the Manx 1 style hood with the plastic emblem. I think the first Manx 2 sticker may have been sold March or April 1969. However the Manx 1 continued to be made and sold concurrently until June 70.

Actually the last plastic emblem I've ever seen which came new on a Meyers Manx was put on the Utility Manx. Period photos show it on the Lifeguard Manx and all Jim Guthrie's Manxes have them even though they all have Manx 2 hoods. The Utility Manxes all have 4 digit tags and were probably made very late in 1970 or in early 1971.

Below are pictures of a NOS foil sticker, the earliest picture I've found of a plastic emblem, a NOS Manx 2 sticker, a plastic emblem on a lifeguard Manx probably taken in 1971.

On the bottom is my favorite emblem. They were made for the Meyers Manx SR. They were cast in a stainless steel alloy of some kind. Polished up and with the background painted, they look great on a regular Meyers Manx.

Tim_Faville

Post by Tim_Faville »

Here is an interesting story Bruce told me about the badge bump on the original Manx 1's. He said the original mold for the hood was positioned so the badge bump was horizontal. His idea was to fill the bump with clear resin then install the logo, that way it would have been in the gel coat. He said out of the 10 or so attempts they were only successful a couple times, the rest of them either stuck in the mold or just plain didn't work. They decided to just place the sticker on the bump instead. He never said whether the ones that worked were sold with a kit or not.
Jdecker

Post by Jdecker »

I was wondering has anyone been able to reproduce the foil badge, mine had one. I bought the newer style off Bruce but haven't put it on yet after my restore. It just doesn't seem right because it originally had that smaller foil one! Just sayin. Jeff
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

OldManx wrote:Hey, BUD...do you have any of those "custom cut-out" MANX nose stickers available for purchase / trade / OR ????????
Bill,

A lot of these pictures came from buggies that attended the Manx On The Banx or other reference pictures. That one with the nose sticker was a buggy at MOTB, not mine. My badge is the close-up of the painted one with the circle "R". Hopefully the owner will see your request and then respond. Sorry.

Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

CairoManx wrote:The first foil backed sticker would have gone on the first Manx with a raised bump on the hood. That would have been the first floorpan Manx, which was made @ November 1965.
Question on this: It appears the Bill's early squaretail picture shows a silver foil badge with black lettering. Am I just seeing things? Were there different styles of the black/silver combo?
CairoManx wrote:The Manx 2 sticker eventually replaced the plastic sticker, however the very first Manx 2s actually had the Manx 1 style hood with the plastic emblem. I think the first Manx 2 sticker may have been sold March or April 1969. However the Manx 1 continued to be made and sold concurrently until June 70.
Looking through the thread, were the originals Orange or Yellow? And do we know more about when they dropped the Manx 2, and went to Meyers Manx on the Manx 2 stickers? Also, for building a period correct car (Jan 1970 timeframe), which would be correct for a Manx 2?

CairoManx wrote:On the bottom is my favorite emblem. They were made for the Meyers Manx SR. They were cast in a stainless steel alloy of some kind. Polished up and with the background painted, they look great on a regular Meyers Manx.
I'm assuming SR badges changed when the company was sold. I have a couple of them now, and one has the Meyers Manx on it, while one just says Manx. Just curious if anyone knows when the change occurred.

(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Updated information at the top of the thread.
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing