Which Emblem?

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
abgiles

Which Emblem?

Post by abgiles »

I thought that Loretta had the original emblem on her from the initial build. However, I realize now that the emblem that was on her was probably one that was ordered from Bruce back in the 90's when he resold them. I doesn't (R) or (C) on it at all. The silver is very clear and overall the badge/emblem looks great, and all the mounting tabs are present.

I do have another option though. I do have an original Manx hood emblem with the (R) on it, that is totally black (no silver outline), but it has a small hole where the previous owner screwed it into the hood (because all the mounting tabs are broken).

My buggy isn't going to be "period" correct, as it will have a custom chassis and roll cage, bumpers, etc...

So, I'm looking for your opinions on which of the two would look better.

Thanks!

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DIESELDOOG

Re: Which Emblem?

Post by DIESELDOOG »

No way I would use the one with the "belly button" hole in it.

With all of the time & expense you are doing for the rebuild process I would wait and see what you have when finished. You might decide that no badge is the way to go, or come up with a different idea by then.

Been in the buggy scene since and the period correct thing is a bunch of crap. Never have seen any 2 buggy close to being the same. Build it the way you like and then enjoy the hell out of it.

Joe
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Thanks Joe! I definitely will have a badge on it. Right now, the one with the "belly button" hole is wall art in my office (spoken "cubicle"). The hole is useful in that I can stick a pin through it to hold it to the cubicle wall.
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Brian,

There are many options out there for a nose badge. When I first got our buggy I didn't know 'nuttin' about no nose badges
(i.e. Foil badge - early pan buggies and/or small box tails, R - original to the kit, <blank> - 1st gen repros, Vinyl Manx sticker - Manx II's,
C - 2nd gen repro or the the billet badge, Manxter and Kickout badge) so I bought a 1st gen repro with the intent to put it on my buggy.
Seems that ugly black nose badge that was on the buggy was cracked on the edges. Since I had this nice shinny new one in
hand I decided to try an fix that old crappy one. I filled in the back side of it with epoxy, sanded it very smooth, and (what the
hell - since I really like the colors of the Meyers Manx shield) I'd try to paint it. Well it came out so well I decided to keep
that old crappy, now newly painted, badge on the buggy and keep that really new shinny one as a spare. Then guess what I found out?
That old crappy badge is worth a small mint (or at least to some). It was the original badge that came with the kit in 1968.
It's still on there today. What I'm trying to tell you is go with your gut. What the hell, back fill the belly button with epoxy and paint it.
Enjoy it and don't get caught up in what others think is "the way to do it".

Your buggy, your decision, your enjoyment.

Now you have my 2.5 cents :D

Before:

After:
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

That is incredible Bud! What kind of paint did you use, and what kind of detail brush? Do you mind if I attempt to copy you, or something close to it?
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

rzeller

Post by rzeller »

abgiles wrote:That is incredible Bud! What kind of paint did you use, and what kind of detail brush? Do you mind if I attempt to copy you, or something close to it?
Brian,

I painted it many years ago, but the best I can remember is that after the epoxy and sanding I sprayed it with gloss black (rattle can). I then used a small pointed brush (like you would use to paint a plastic model kit) and filled in the white and the yellow. Both colors were basic Testors paint (again the stuff you would use on a plastic model). Since it was hard to fill in between some of the letters and I "over painted" some of the raised outlines, I got a small roller with a hard rubber roller, put some black paint down on a piece of glass, rolled the roller through the black paint, and then rolled across the top of the badge with the intent of hitting just the raised outline. I did have to use a tooth pick to fill in yellow between the letters. I think (but can't really remember) that I sprayed the whole thing, once it was dry, with clear (rattle can).

If you closely you can seem some spots that didn't get yellow covered very well, but at the time, it was good enough for me. The surprising thing to me is how well it's held up over at least 8 years (the picture I posted is just after I painted it).

You certainly don't have to ask me if I mind if you do it. If you like it, try it. I've seen a few others that have done the same thing (Dave - Siggymanx33 is one that I know of - his looks great on his read buggy. Look at some of the MOTB pictures in the gallery - http://www.manxonthebanx.com - and I'm sure you'll see Dave's red Signature buggy).

Enjoy your own creativity. To me that's what this buggy hobby is about. Individuality and creativity.

Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Thanks Bud! That's a great evening project! I really don't know how I missed them at MOTB. I guess I was just in so much awe about everything else, that it slipped by. Every time I look at the pictures, I find something else I missed.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Xena's front emblem was glued on real well, so I painted over it when I painted her!!! Then I used a small brush & a small bottle of "silver" Testors model car paint & painted all of the raised areas!!! Sorry I don't have a better photo, but it might give you an idea of what it looks like!!!
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Looks nicely done! I was able (with some prodding and advice from Joe) to remove the one that was on Loretta, and picked up some Testor's paints on Friday. I'm going to do the epoxy fill on the hole of the old one, and paint it. Depending on how that comes out, I'll be doing the repop that I pulled off of her. On the rear of my bumper that Joe is building, he added a receiver hitch, and mentioned possibly getting a "special" receiver cover for it.

If all goes well with the painting, I'm going to epoxy a plastic receiver flange to the repop, and have it in the receiver plug when not using it for the basket. I'll be taking lots of pictures as I go.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

Vegas-Roy

Post by Vegas-Roy »

Brian, when I got mine the front had been wrecked and the pins were broken, the badge was rough, cracked, etc. I used black epoxy to fix the cracks and build up the chip missing from the side. I took a dremmel tool and removed the broken pins and epoxied 4-40 stainless bolts in there place. It worked well. I used some silver model paint and highlighted the images and letters.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

rzeller wrote:
abgiles wrote:That is incredible Bud! What kind of paint did you use, and what kind of detail brush? Do you mind if I attempt to copy you, or something close to it?
Brian,

I painted it many years ago, but the best I can remember is that after the epoxy and sanding I sprayed it with gloss black (rattle can). I then used a small pointed brush (like you would use to paint a plastic model kit) and filled in the white and the yellow. Both colors were basic Testors paint (again the stuff you would use on a plastic model). Since it was hard to fill in between some of the letters and I "over painted" some of the raised outlines, I got a small roller with a hard rubber roller, put some black paint down on a piece of glass, rolled the roller through the black paint, and then rolled across the top of the badge with the intent of hitting just the raised outline. I did have to use a tooth pick to fill in yellow between the letters. I think (but can't really remember) that I sprayed the whole thing, once it was dry, with clear (rattle can).

If you closely you can seem some spots that didn't get yellow covered very well, but at the time, it was good enough for me. The surprising thing to me is how well it's held up over at least 8 years (the picture I posted is just after I painted it).

You certainly don't have to ask me if I mind if you do it. If you like it, try it. I've seen a few others that have done the same thing (Dave - Siggymanx33 is one that I know of - his looks great on his read buggy. Look at some of the MOTB pictures in the gallery - http://www.manxonthebanx.com - and I'm sure you'll see Dave's red Signature buggy).

Enjoy your own creativity. To me that's what this buggy hobby is about. Individuality and creativity.

Bud
I completely stole the idea from Bud shortly after he did it…..probably about 10 years ago.
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

OldManx wrote::!: I need an "original foil emblem" for the nose of my car :clap: :clap:
If you are on the facebook site for the club, post a request there. I know somebody there was mentioning having a couple of them that Winnie reproduced a while back. Can't remember who, but if you ask, you may find more than one person with them.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436