FOUND!! B.F. Meyers Rear Camping Module

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
Tim_Faville

FOUND!! B.F. Meyers Rear Camping Module

Post by Tim_Faville »

I have already posted this up on Facebook but it belongs here as well. I literally stumbled across this on the roof of a local VW shop in San Diego where it had been sitting for decades. I posted it on Facebook the night I found it and the response was overwhelming. I had the opportunity to talk to Bruce Meyers about it the next day and he informed that there were only 3 of the rear camping modules ever made. I searched the internet for pictures and the only one I could find was from one of the B.F. Meyers catalogs and a video on YouTube with a brief 2 second drive by. I know this isn't the one featured in the catalog because it was never drilled for the side handles as shown in the picture, however the one in the video did not have the handles installed either so mine could possibly be the one in the video. I have copied the door in a new piece of mahogany since the old door was too far gone to save, found the marine grade hardware that the catalog said was used, and repaired the dents, dings, and holes that were present. It is an incredible piece of Meyers Manx history that I am very proud to be the owner of. It is a high probability that I have the only existing camping module out there but if anybody else has one of the other two it would be cool to find out. I honestly believe that the camping modules should be something included in the Registry due to the rarity and nature of the item, its really not like other accessory items such as hardtops, cutting brakes, etc. I would love to have a certification tag saying "Camping Module 1 of 3" to attach to it. 621622623624625
Tim_Faville

Re: FOUND!! B.F. Meyers Rear Camping Module

Post by Tim_Faville »

Here are a few pictures during rehab and the final outcome.626627629628
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Last time they were made was in 2001, by a nephew of Bruce Meyers.

Here are some pictures of my Manx with one.

637 636 633
635 634

The modules were very handy, as they allowed for full utilization of the rear seat area.
It was like having a couple of foot lockers for storage. The down side is you lost about
60% of the view in your rear view mirror.

I notice you have a window in yours for access. If it is plastic you will find that it is a
dust magnet and that the plastic will become scratched in time.
Tim_Faville

Post by Tim_Faville »

Dieseldoog, your rear module is one of the ones made by Pete Smiley. They were a bit different than the original 60's version in that they were shorter in height, they had no bottom, and the door opened up from the bottom and the hinge was closest to the rollbar. The original was a 2 piece design with a bottom in it and the door folded down at the rear. Thats not a window its a mahogany door. From what I understand Pete Smiley only made 9 or 10 of the module that you have.
Last edited by Tim_Faville on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joescoolcustoms

Post by joescoolcustoms »

Tim, are you going to have the Manx ready and bring it to the Big Bear Bash?

I would really love to see the whole buggy when we are out there.
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

David Helland had one on his buggy, don't know how old it was or where his buggy is now. Perhaps Bruce will know.

Bob
Tim_Faville

Post by Tim_Faville »

David Hellands was one of Pete Smileys rear boxes!!
Tim_Faville

Post by Tim_Faville »

http://www.lightner.net/ybdb/bugofmon/n ... yellr.html Here is a link to Dave Hellands car, you can see in the pictures the diamond plate door on his Pete Smiley module.