First Build thread of 2015 and of the new Forum - Loretta

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
abgiles

Re: First Build thread of 2015 and of the new Forum - Lorett

Post by abgiles »

Then came the time for fun. Wiring... While I was a Nuclear Electrician's Mate for 23 years in the Navy, and know what I feel is more than your average guy about wiring, and had done numerous modifications and repairs to VW wiring and other vehicles, I had never fully wired any car, let alone a fiberglass buggy before. I felt overwhelmed for a while, and it took me a bit to get started.

From Joe's recommendation, I had purchased a wiring kit from Rebel Wiring. I used the Deluxe Beetle kit they offer, and couldn't tell you how awesome it is. It came labeled every 8", and has a modern fuse box. It's built the right way, and Jeremy at Rebel will add all the extra wires for additional gauges that you ask for (good thing for me, as I have all of the gauges one could need and more). He also gives a club discount. I liked it so much, that we ordered a custom made rear mounted one from him for the Resorter.

As I previously stated, it took me quite a long while to get it done, and I finally finished up the wiring in August.

This is Joe's username on the Samba, and his signature on the buggy. He did ask for permission first, and my answer was a resounding "Of course!" I wouldn't have it any other way.

After doing the wiring, I did learn that doing it underneath was a cleaner way, but wasn't going to re-do it.

(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

First Powering up of the gauges!

(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

After several months of dragging my feel along, it was time to re-install her powerplant. I had a motor that Wesley Allen took apart, cleaned up and inspected, and had put back together. I ordered a rebuilt 34 pict 3 from Tim at Volksbitz, and Jeffery Holt and I fitted it all up, and got it installed.

Although I don't care for the EMPI shrouds, and have another stock offset cooler shroud that's been modified to remove the heater ducts, I'll keep this shroud, even if just for Wall Art. Reminder of my first day driving her after the restoration (not that I need a reminder of that feeling). For all his hard work, I let Jeff beat me at tick-tac-toe.

Last edited by abgiles on Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

And finally!!

phpBB [video]

She needed a little carb adjustment, but she was running!
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Jeffery and I then took off that day for a short little test drive, a celebratory frosty beverage, and to take some photos!

These are some of my favorites thus far, and one of them can be seen 2016 Manx Club Calendar (September).

Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

joescoolcustoms

Post by joescoolcustoms »

Fabulous!

Now lets see some sand pictures, Tanya Driving pictures, mud pictures. Action and Drama!
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Will update it more today. I can only type slowly.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

Great buggy pictures and view of the Lake Murray. I am wondering where you and Jeff were at for the pictures. When I look down the lake from the front of my house I can see the damn six miles away. If I knew how to attach a photo I would show you a picture of my manx and in the back ground bomb island can be seen. Maybe we can meet up one day after I get a few bugs worked out of the new 2027 I just put in.
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

mightymanx wrote:Great buggy pictures and view of the Lake Murray. I am wondering where you and Jeff were at for the pictures. When I look down the lake from the front of my house I can see the damn six miles away. If I knew how to attach a photo I would show you a picture of my manx and in the back ground bomb island can be seen. Maybe we can meet up one day after I get a few bugs worked out of the new 2027 I just put in.
Absolutely! My number is ***-***-**** [Removed by admin to reduce spam]. Feel free to call or text any time. These were taken at Pine Island, which is owned and operated by SCE&G. I work for them, so have access to the facilities. We'd love to meet up with you some time.

Brian
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

Fai72721

Post by Fai72721 »

joescoolcustoms wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:50 pm Since it is raining like crazy, and waiting on the garage to heat up, another update on Loretta.

Since I was in the fiberglass mood, I also prepped the spare tire well for it's repair. Both the spare tire well and the battery well were badly hacked by PO's in order to clear the rear IRS suspension. One of the purposes to building the chassis with a 2 inch body lift was to clear the wells properly, then restore the wells back to original. Since the doors were restored back to original, why not the rest of the body, right?

I know this follically challenged dude down South that has a buggy or two, likes to huff resin fumes when he can, and knows a little about fiberglass. We struck a deal and he made a couple of "plugs" for me. One of the spare tire well and one of the battery well. These are not only for Loretta, but for the Franken Manx I have, so they will get used more than once.

A tight fit of the plug to the body is essential, and since each body varies do to the environment is has been exposed to in the past 40 years, warppage and shrinkage change their shape. I fit it as close to the body as possible, but in case it had gaps, I waxed the original gel coat of the body several times so any resin leakage past the plug would not stick to the body. Then also waxed the plug mold several times.

Bolted the plug mold into the body and started cutting fiberglass mat in prep of the lay up.

Notice how the tapering of the old glass come down to a knife edge and smoothly transitions into the plug mold. This helps make the repair very smooth surface-to-surface once set up. Ready to start laying the glass on.

And glassed in. First layer against the plug mold was 2 ounce mat. Next two layers was 6 ounce woven cloth. Next three layers was 2 ounce mat for a finished thickness of about 5/16 inch. The cloth is a lot stronger than the mat due to the lattice like matrix it has. But, if used by itself, it can give a texture look to the repair and show up later in the correct light. Since the mat does not have any pattern, when it shows up, it looks so scattered that it does not pull your eye to it. Mixing the two causes no problems because both are glass, but it builds strength into the repair. And the final exposed surface tends to match the original chopper gun texture the best and not pop out as a repair when being looked at.

Once the layup started building heat and was solid to touch, I pulled the bolts out and shortly the plug mold popped off the body.

It is kind of hard to see and tell from the pictures, but incredibly smooth and the transition is almost dead on from the repair to the body. Very little interior work to be done. As with the tail light section described above, I over cut out the body eliminating about 30 small holes that also needed to be repaired. Why fix two small areas and 30 holes when I can just make one repair and get it all. A lot less finish body work to do. The dark areas are the sharpie pen marks I made to orient me during lay up prep and show through the translucent resin.

I am pleased with how it turned out. Thanks to Chris, Vince and Tom for the help and guidance on doing this style of repair. I know I have asked Vince a thousand questions at his fiberglass courses he teaches during MOTB. And Chris with the late night calls to ask one more question. But that is what makes life fun, right?
check it out Octopus Squishmallow