Meyers Manx Kick Out with Fully Automatic Trans

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
jsturtlebuggy

Meyers Manx Kick Out with Fully Automatic Trans

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

With Ed (Norm) Chenal doing flybys on Facebook, I post the pictures here of A Kick Out with a automatic trans out of a type III VW.

Kevin (formally Mendeola Motorsports) put this buggy together. I took a few pictures, they are not the best but give you and idea on what it takes to fit the trans into Bug type chassis.

These are from Photobucket account. If you want to copy photos, do so as if I run out of room they will be deleted.

This from the front on the left side.

From the right rear side.

From the rear showing left side

This the is the floor (belly) pan under the chassis. You can see the shift cable running underneath rear edge and then goes into hole in pan up to shifter.
joescoolcustoms

Re: Meyers Manx Kick Out with Fully Automatic Trans

Post by joescoolcustoms »

Thank you for the pictures Joe! I posted on FB asking about a T III auto in a buggy to see what response and if someone would buy one. Pretty positive response and might be because a lot of us are getting older and have bad knees.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Yes I have problems too with the legs. On the Kick Out I am using the longer arm on the trans. The Manxter has a hydraulic setup for the clutch and does getting tiring in stop and go traffic. It has a stage II 228mm clutch setup on the Subaru engine. I going back to a stock 228mm (it is suppose to be comparable to a stage I. Kennedy does not make a stage I for 228mm clutch setup.) I tested the release pressure between the two. Using a press and a valve spring tester (for use in a vice), the Stage II was around 400lbs release pressure and the stock 228mm is about 275lbs to release it.
Todd of Subaru Gears (reverse ring & pinion for Subaru) is working on a reverse R&P for the Subaru automatic trans. I don't know where he is on it.
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Joseph and others. Thanks for keeping this subject matter here. Unfortunately, too many folks don't understand the value of posting technical subjects on the Forum so we can refer back to it in the future. The Forum is a Library of Expertise.