monocoque bits

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
vwmanx

monocoque bits

Post by vwmanx »

Instead of cluttering up Scotts monocoque thread, I decided to create a new one called monocoque bits. This will be about the special little bits and pieces that Bruce made for the monocoques.

First up, this is the front suspension bracket assembly. Since mine was in an accident, I found that this bracket was bent. I fabricated a new one and of course held onto the original. The interesting thing with this is the roughness of the cuts where the uprgiths cradled the suspension. Consider that Bruce was making these in his garage so he was using what he had access to. In this instance a torch and a saw of some kind.

This part sandwiched the front suspension against the fiberglass and the angle bracket provided a lip to bolt the underside champagne glass/tunnel cover wood piece.

Image  Image

Image  Image

There are more in my album but I cannot figure out how to load pictures to this thread easily. if I can figure it out I will add the rest later.

OK, Chris  Here are your pictures, now to figure out the problem.  Joe
Last edited by vwmanx on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parmaynu

monocoque bits

Post by parmaynu »

Can't wait to see this thread grow.

Do you think the steel frame and plywood or the fibreglass takes most of the stress?

Does the mono have any caster built in?
vwmanx

monocoque bits

Post by vwmanx »

I am not an engineer but this part sandwiched the beam and the glass. On the front side (inside the hood/sump area) there are two straps of steel plate...roughly 2"x7". Those keep the bolt heads (holding the beam and this bracket assembly together) from pulling through the glass. The upper shock mounts of the front beam bolt to a steel pipe. That holds the top of the beam in place. The bottom of the beam where it mounts is really supported by the shape of the sump AND more importantly the champaign glass shaped tunnel cover. I recall Bruce telling me that the impact to the beam would be absorbed by the wood..much like a boat, and any remaining energy would be transferred into the body where it bolts up.