Manx II #1493 Build

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
Ed-Chenal

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Louis,
Looks Good.
You've been busy.
Ed
jsturtlebuggy

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Louis,
I am using torsion caps from CB Performance.  They are made out of aluminum.  Image

Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Thanks, I will take a look at them. You have any build pics of your buggy hosted some where? I like your rear cage support and would like to see more.

thanks,

--louis
jsturtlebuggy

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Nothing really posted right now, the conversion in the Manxter taking up my time at the moment. What was in the Mania is about it.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Gary1719

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by Gary1719 »

Your progressing well looks great keep up the good work. You found your MO JO i lost mine. LOL
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Hi Gary,

It is tough to keep up momentum. I actually rolled it out of the garage today for the first time. I would post pics but my wife has the camera with her in Sandy Eggo.

--louis
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Took a break from working on the buggy this weekend to start assembling the tubing bender. It is a GotTirkes plan which can be bought off the internet:

http://www.gottrikes.com/Tube_Bender.htm

Besides the plans I bought all the machined parts since I don't have a lathe. This is an air over hydro bender which uses Pro Tools dies. In the picture you can see the pump which comes from Harbor Freight and two bending dies. (1.5x6 & 1.75x6)

All the raw materials. The long square tubing is 2 x 2 x 1/4

It took about an hour to get all the tubing cut for the frame:

Major frame assemblies tacked together:

Frame tacked into place:

I need to finish weld the frame and make a few more parts out of flat stock. Hope to have it finished by next weekend.

--louis
Ed-Chenal

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Louis,
Have you ever considered moving to SoCal?
We could use a guy like you.
Ed
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

I thought about it, then visited LA/Riverside and decided there is no way in 'ell I could live some place like that. Too dry, too many people, not enough trees. lol Nor Cal up near San Fran would probably be more my style but who can afford to live there. :)

--louis
Ed-Chenal

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by Ed-Chenal »

[b][b][b]louisb[/b][/b][/b] wrote:I thought about it, then visited LA/Riverside and decided there is no way in 'ell I could live some place like that. Too dry, too many people, not enough trees. lol Nor Cal up near San Fran would probably be more my style but who can afford to live there. :)

--louis

Louis, we have just the spot for you, Big Bear Lake.
It has snow in the winter and thunder storms in the summer.  It has lots of trees and fewer people than down the mountain where most of us live.
And.... we could all meet at your house (buy a big piece of property) each summer.  Image
Last edited by Ed-Chenal on Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Couple of shots of the buggy and the finished tubing bender I built from the Got Trikes plans.

Vroom, Vroom! Still missing a few pieces but man what a difference from the start.

Before the Safety Nazis come after me yes that is an original style single hoop. SurfNC made me a smoken deal on it so I picked it up. I am trying to figure out how to work it into the full cage but I may just end up using it for a template. I need to figure out how close the gap between the bottom to the tubes and the 1/4 x 1.5 flat stock that I will use as the base of the cage. I am toying with the idea of using some 2x2x.125 tubing I have left from the bender build but I have to think about it some more.

Speaking of the home brew bender:

My very first 92 deg bend :lol: Still working on figuring out the spring back. That is a piece of 1.75 x .125 DOM tubing.

A rather blurry pick of the other side. Like the HF Orange paint I chose? :wink:

Look! Its Kid N Play!

Actually just my 40 IDFs waiting to get rebuilt here soon. Some more realistic 3" elements are already on order. I just sent my Bosch 010 to Dizzymeister Glenn Ring today for rebuilding (I hope) and once that gets back I should have everything to start assembling the engine.

--louis
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Finished rebuilding my 40 IDFs today. I had previously cleaned them in a little sonic cleaner I picked up from HF but there was still some corrosion from where moisture had gotten into the carbs. To clean this out I rigged up a little soda blaster using a HF spot blaster and some Baking Soda. It worked surprisingly well. The carbs are Italian IDFs that have seen a good bit of use before I got them and were pretty dirty. Now they looks almost like new.

Corrosion from the moisture:

Shot of me blasting the carbs. And yes, the baking soda got everywhere.

Carb body getting a quick dip in the sonic cleaner to remove any remaining baking soda. These little sonic cleaners from HF are about $80.00 and work really well for cleaning small parts.

Carb on the left is my "good" carb, the one on the right is my "parts" carb. (Also Italian.) It doesn't really come out well in this pick but both carbs were in about the same shape and now after the soda blasting the one on the left looks almost brand new.

Here you can see where it removed all of the corrosion:

Don't try this at home, at least not when the wife is around  Image 

Clean carbs, check
Carb rebuild kit, check
Air cleaner bases, check
Brass stack, check
Tools, check
Scented Candle, check  Image

Finished product sans air cleaners. Still waiting on the 3" cleaners to arrive. I set up the carbs according the directions on Mark Harney's site.

Mark Harney's site: http://www.carburetorclinic.com/index.htm

Last shot is of my recently rebuilt Bosch 010 dizzy. I sent it off to Glenn Ring and he worked his magic on it and it looks like new. This is the second 010 I have had rebuilt by Glenn and his work is very good.

Link to Glenn Ring's site: http://www.glenn-ring.com/bosch/

I hope to start engine assembly here in the next few weeks.

Thanks,

--louis
Ed-Chenal

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by Ed-Chenal »

I didn't notice a 009 distributer on his list.
Ed
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Hi Ed,

I don't know if he works on the 009s or not.

--louis
jsturtlebuggy

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Louis,
Looking great.  I like your bender. 
I do have one question on your Webers, how where the sealed bearings on the throttle shafts? 
You are right about Glenn not working on anything but only the cast iron distributors. 

About going to full roll cage in your buggy.  It your choice and kind of depends on how you are going to use your buggy. 
When I built the Kick Out I went with the Stainless Steel roll bar.  It is for the old style look.  There are no plans for taking it out in the dirt anymore.
Talking to Bruce and hearing him tell some of the early stories of roll overs with just the roll bar and how well it held up and kept people from getting hurt. 
Take into consideration at the time 36 and 40hp engines were the norm and to have a 1500cc was a big engine.  So speeds were slower.
Looking at some of the cages that have just 4 points of attachment may still collapsed if  depending on how it is hit.  And if you add bars that go back to rear seat area without putting something behind it to support it. The possiblity of the tubing will just push through the fiberglass.  If you have seen the support system under a Manxter it a great idea in the way it ties everything together.
Under the KickOut I built a rear support system to tie in the frame horns and a more secure place to mount the rear bumper other than the shock bolts.ImageImage 
If  you are using a swing axle setup and are planning on extreme driving then a cage may be a wise idea.  Swing axles are more prone to tucking a wheel than the IRS setup which can be more forgiving.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095