Manx II #1493 Build

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
Ed-Chenal

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Lifting the body of a buggy is a good thing (unless you're a low-rider). 
It adds strength, safety, stability and comfort. 
A tall guy like you will not regret doing it.
Ed
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

I have also decided to go with a full cage instead of a single hoop. The lift will form the foundation of the cage as well.

--louis
Ed-Chenal

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by Ed-Chenal »

A full cage ensures a fuller life.
Ed
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Spent 5 hours fabing up the front crossmember today out 14 gauge sheet metal and I am beat. Got everything tacked together and the body mocked up for a trial fit. Looks like everything is where it is supposed to be so that was a relief. Now I need to finish welding and grinding everything.

I think the 1.5" lift will be just right for what I want.

--louis
10ovr

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by 10ovr »

Nice job Louis,,,looks like the body fits nice,,
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Thanks. For the most part the fit is good. The front bulkhead is a little wider than I needed but it works out okay. Keep an eye out in Manx Mania, you may see a more detailed writeup of this little adventure.

--louis
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Started modifying the front beam today following the advice from Jeff Hibbard's book for off road buggies.  I had another beam sandblasted but it turned out to have a good bit of rust in the towers so I chunked it and went with this one instead. This one is rust free and I stripped it by hand with a wire brush.

Close up of one of the shock tower braces made from 1.5x1.5 tubing:

I used a torch to burn out any grease from the tower seams then cleaned them up with a grinder to make the seams were even. After that I fully welded the them:

Adjuster mocked up in position to give 3" lift from stock:

My plan is to finish up the adjusters next weekend. I am having new Febi ball joints pressed into the trailing arms and then I will install a hook and pin stop. Some Fox class 11 shocks are also in the plans but I will have to wait on those for now.  

Thanks,

--louis
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

I managed to slip out into the garage tonight and get the adjusters welded into the beam. After comparing the angles for the torsion leaves it looks like I ended up 2 degrees raised from stock. The stock angle for the grub screws were 50 top and 55 bottom. After welding mine were 52 top and 57 bottom. Hopefully that will not be an issue.

Thanks,

--louis
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Went home early today with the goal of getting the trans buttoned up and installed. This is the trans that the locash guys put together for me and it has been sitting under my work table for the last year waiting on me to install the torsion tubes.

Here is a shot of all the rear suspension parts. Trans is stock geared with a 4.12 R&P, threaded super diff and welded 3rd & 4th gears. I added braces to the stock side covers and a longer clutch arm. Also shown are the adjustable spring plates, stock torsion bars, stock rubber torsion bushings, the requisite chrome torsion tube caps, rear wide 5 to Chevy adapters, bus snubbers, spring plate retainers and new factory torsion tubes with 1 piece boots.

This shot shows the difference in the two clutch arms. Should make that Kennedy stage 1 fell like a stocker.

Here is the tranny dropped into place. It was at this point I realized the Bugpack side cover braces did not clear the frame horn flange so I will have to do some clearancing. While I am at it I think I will weld up the seam on the frame horn. I am still debating that last one.

I sure hope the damn thing doesn't leak. I hate working on transmissions. I will do almost anything on a car but there are two things I will gladly pay someone else to do, wiring and transmission work.

--louis
10ovr

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by 10ovr »

Good to see your out of your FUNK and back on track,,, Look-en good,,  Trust me,,Wiring is not that bad,,,One circuit at a time and before you know it,,it's done,,, Keep up the good work,,,,,,,,,
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Yeah I think it has just been a long week. Thanks for the comments.

--louis
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

My back is finally feeling good enough to work on the buggy. (The massive amounts of pain killers didn't hurt either. :lol: ) I decided to just go ahead and use the tube style front bumper I had previously purchased. Of course being a cheap POS EMPI item it didn't fit worth a damn. I ended up having to cut the brackets off and reweld them just so everything would line up. I also welded on mounts for the 6" KC Daylighters.

The other pics are of where I clearanced the rear forks so the braces on the tranny side plates would clear. I probably cut out far more than needed but I plan to tie the rear forks into the cage so the strength should not be compromised. While I was at it I also fully welded the fork seams and welded on the spring plate retainers.

Tomorrow I plan to weld the hook and pin stop kit on and finish up the beam.

--louis
10ovr

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by 10ovr »

About time you get your ass back to work on that buggyImage,,Looken good,,, Thought maybe you were going to drag this out into 2011 ,,Glad you back feels better,,,Been there,,,, I have been playing around with a few ideas for the front bumper,, Just need to find the time,,,,,
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Bolted up most of the front suspension and bumper today. Here are a couple of pics:

--louis
louisb

Manx II #1493 Build

Post by louisb »

Wow, its been almost 2 months since I have posted any real progress. Stuff has been getting done but none of it very picture worthy. Today though I feel I made some real progress. Got the rear suspension wrapped up and the rear tires mounted. As soon as the front disc kit shows up from So Cal Imports I will be able to get it rolling.

I hate mounting the rear trailing arms. I can never find a bolt the right length so I end up doing stuff like this:

Discs on one side, drums on the other?

This is better. I still need to run the brake cables/lines. A set of Fox shocks are on the wish list but for now the oil shocks will have to do:

Side shot. The cheap chrome torsion covers have already started to rust. Plus they seem thinner than the factory ones.

Last shot is of the trans mid mount and rear cage support Danny Gabbard made for me. I had a pic of the rear tires mounted up but it didn't come out and I am too tired to go take another so you will just have to wait.

Thanks,

--louis