WTB: Tagged Yuma Yellow Manx

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
enesset

Post by enesset »

I realize I'm on a very specific "search". 

Most ideally I'm interested in finding a "tagged" Meyers Manx in Yuma Yellow (at least originally as denoted on the body tag)....its okay if its been painted but I'm looking for what would  have been YY originally.

To "tighten the search" I'd really like to find a tub that was made in '69. 

The back story is I grew up with my Grandpa scooting around the desert in Serial #M3291H922S

I am KICKING myself for missing out on

M2865 D922S which was for sale last January in Utah.

My grandpa's Manx was ultimately sold to a guy in France so its gone. 

I'm turning 40 this year......I have participated in the NORRA Mexican 1000 the last 2 years and will again this year.  It looks like this year I'll be helping a friend drive his tow rig but it would be fantastic if I could find what I'm looking for in a Manx and then drive to Cabo and back with one of my younger brothers.

It would be even cooler if I could find one this year with the 50th anniversary of the Manx.

I'd be very interested in hearing any leads or thoughts on options in-line with what I'm looking for.  While I understand the Meyers have certified many of the early Manx I'm going to hold out for one with an intact badge.

Thanks in advance -- Eric  (enesset@yahoo.com)
Manx resto project '69 Yuma Yellow
Vegas-Roy

Post by Vegas-Roy »

Eric, I checked the Manx registry and found some Yuma yellow 922S's. Mine is a 822S and Vince Simansky had a 922S that he has sold to someone in New York. My 822S is blue, Vince painted it for me. His was yellow. If I were you, I would look in the registry and make a few calls. Good luck. I am hoping to make it back for the NORRA trip, but definitely to be there at Big Bear to drive the winning "Bruce Special" back home with me.
enesset

Post by enesset »

Bump. Still looking for a 922S.....if anyone has a lead on one i'm still hunting. Thanks
Manx resto project '69 Yuma Yellow
enesset

Re: WTB: Tagged Yuma Yellow Manx

Post by enesset »

Manx 922S

Well, we are only 22 days out to the NORRA 1000 so I thought I'd give this a "bump to the top". There are a couple of good MII's out there but now that we are so close to the event and it will likely need to wait until next year, I'd lean towards taking even a tagged body alone and then take a year to build out the rest.

If anyone has a tagged 922S that needs a lot of love and a new home please let me know. Thanks -- Eric
surfnc

Post by surfnc »

Eric,

Where are you located? I may have something for you. My buddy is picking up a 22S Manx 1 with serial tag made in 68.

These are pictures of a 22S I did 2 years ago. I do not have it any more. I sold it to a car restoration buddy in NY in Feb 2013.(I do not think he will ever sell it)

Let me know if you are interested. I will only sell it restored to the original color, not as an unrestored body. I have not seen it yet in person so I cannot tell you how much it will cost in the end.

Vince
enesset

Post by enesset »

922S

I am in NorCal in the mountains between San Jose and Santa Cruz. I will PM you as well. Thx -- Eric
enesset

Post by enesset »

Bump to the top.

I'm still on the hunt (preferably for a Manx in need of restoration -- maybe at this point a tub by itself would be the most desirable).

My overall goal for a Manx remains finding one with an intact body tag ending in 922S and then preferably doing a restoration/build and enjoying it with my brothers while using it in NORRA (third year participant in 2014) with my vintage bronco guys and would love to continue using a Manx.

Thanks so much to the overall group with the help I've received so far on a variety of "verified" but not tagged Manx's. All the best -- Eric
Mike1991

Post by Mike1991 »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1667508

Check out this ad on the Samba dated 7/21/14
enesset

Post by enesset »

Classic, that is exactly what I am looking for. I got to the posting at 11:46, it was posted at 9am and Jesus (the seller) said Rick (out of Texas) called him minutes after it went up and the deal is done.

The price and project looks great but according to Jesus it doesn't have a body tag so I'm okay.

The search continues (and thanks SO much for the heads up).
YellowSafari

Post by YellowSafari »

That add looks like it may have 1 of Bruce's hand made windshields. Looks like it is in back wards thou. nice find would have liked a picture of the back too. I didn't read last post before looking at add,
had the mad money adding machine going. Well maybe next time.

Good luck on your hunt
enesset

Post by enesset »

Still looking

Hello all. A quick bump TTT since I'm still looking. Have seen a few non-tagged but holding out for that BF Meyers tagged YYellow. Thanks again to all those that have helped so far. -- Eric
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

This is even better than an original 1968.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1674026
enesset

Post by enesset »

Hi CairoManx:
I had actually talked with him about that Siggy Manx and for awhile prior to NORRRA considered it but at those prices I think those bodies are destined for show-car-trailer-queens. I had my heart set on finding A Manx for the 50th anniversary in conjunction with our NORRA Baja race this past year and that is why I considered a Siggy rather than an original tagged "922S" but the price of those bodies are strong enough that it only makes sense for a show car by the time you get done building it.

If I wasn't set on sticking with finding a tagged body close to my grandpa's '69 Yuma Yellow then there are a lot of really nice Manx out there that can be had for not a lot of cash above the $5k starting point it takes to just acquire a Siggy body. As an example there is what appears to be a really nice, early-bodied non-tagged (blue originally but painted yellow) manx in the Central valley that can be had in the $6k neighborhood.

Waiting for a 922S is going to take awhile.....

Oh, another rig, appropriately priced is Robs yuma yellow in SoCal. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1601028 there is no way you could build one as nice for that money.

Thanks for the suggestion and for general community's continued help in my search. -- Eric
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I bought a blue Classic Manx kit for $2,000. I built it up nice and took it to Lone Pine and Bishop and Clear lake and Tahoe and went on all the off road runs and had a great time with it, but took care of it and it still looked new. Later a guy made me an offer and I rebuilt it for him with an IRS Barrett chassis, 2100, built transaxle, discs, American Mags, etc, etc, all of which the guy paid for and paid me to build. I cleared a lot, lot more than the difference between what I paid for the blue kit and what this guy wants for the yellow kit. The yellow kit has appreciated in value $3000 since it was made 14 years ago, but the idea that the $3000 higher value means it now has to be treated as a show car is just wrong. That's the same as sying all Kickouts and Manxters have to be show cars. If you bought that Classic kit for that price and did a good quality build on it and took care of it, you could have as much fun with it as anyone has ever had on 4 wheels and being a Classic Manx it would hold its value and you could still have your cake and eat it.

Something else to think about, a new Manx B kit was $600 in 1968 and that didn't include a stainless roll bar or front bumper. With inflation, $600 in 1968 is over $4000 today. You should follow your Grandfather's lead, he knew investing more for the best quality up front paid for itself in the long run.

Also, not having a built 2100 or a Berg 5 speed or discs, none of which you need in a buggy, would save you a lot more than $3000
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Moved from 'Swap Meet " section since the ad has morphed into a discussion about an unfindable Manx body.