Windshield Seal

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
wesallen85

Windshield Seal

Post by wesallen85 »

So, I was wondering if anyone has declined the use of the rubber seal for under the windshield frame and decided to use a silicone caulk. The seal on mine still allows an appreciable amount of water underneath it.... and I'm quite sure I could apply the caulking uniform, clean, and tastefully. Anyone?
ManxManiac

Re: Windshield Seal

Post by ManxManiac »

I've never seen anyone use the silicone caulk, but I don't know why it wouldn't work!!! Most use the channel shade rubber molding that has a flat wider bottom, but mine was destroyed years ago when I redid our buggy & I never replaced it!!! Ours fits tight enough at the top of the dash/hood // bottom of the windshield that on the several occasions we were caught in the rain, it didn't seem to be a problem!!! I say "go for it"... if you don't like it, removing it shouldn't be too bad!!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
langan

Post by langan »

New seal cut long. Works great for me and I live in Washington. But your idea may look better than the wrinkle the seal always has.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

I used windshield silicone in addition to the old stiff rubber seal to fill the gaps on ours. 12 years latter, still no leaks.