FOUND: Monocoque No. ?

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!

Post by 1856 »

... sweet recovery and in a barn !!!
Mnc
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Nice one Scott!

I think if it were mine (I wish...) I'd just fix it up mechanically rather than fully restore it, in the first instance anyways.

I could live with patina like that! It looks like its worked quite hard for all of its dings and holes.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

Hey Scott;

Nice find. I don't remember seeing the dash before and that is cool. Should be a really fun restoration. Look forward to seeing it sometime. Will you be putting it through the authentication process?
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Is there an up to date list anywhere of what monocoques are out there and who owns them?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I believe I figured out who owned monocoque PCS 076, it was Neal Allen. He was a chase vehicle driver when Bruce set the Baja record of 34 Hours 45 minutes. Below that is the best picture of Quatro' plate I've found.

Last edited by CairoManx on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

WOW! Step away from the computer for a few hours and BAM!

Vincent . . .Either "Jensen" or "Jack" are the finalists for the name. I think Jack played an important role in Bruce's life and I'd like to honor that somehow. I can't tell if the air cleaner is original, and I'm not sure Bruce ever provided them. But, while it's in the same location as all of the other ones and it is old, it's not like the ones I've seen on other monocoques. The ones I've seen look more like the one on the black & white picture Nelson posted above "lunch at La Purisima". Mine is a different style and much bigger, almost the same size of the EMPI China-made aluminum ones.

Nelson, I always appreciate your ability to pull together the history of the Manx. You're right about Ted's car not being the one I ciited in my bumper example. The picture was so faded I assumed it was purple and jumped to an incorrect conclusion. I'm afraid I don't know what the black and yellow license plate number was for this car. I was at AAA today transferring ownership and they didn't have any information on prior plates. I've emailed the family to find out if they know and I'll pass along what they come back with. Sadly, they haven't found a lot of documentation about the car, but they've promised to forward anything they do find, like old pictures or records.

Tom, I think I would be interested in your 356 motor, but fear it'd be too rich for my blood. I'll call you so we can talk about it.

Chris, OK, it'll be at Big Bear.

Mark, Thank you. I feel really lucky to have it. And Bullit, no, it'll be my son who will wind up passing it along :-)

David, I am planning on replacing the tires, rewiring it, sticking a 36 or 40hp single port in it and driving it "as is" for now. I may like that so much it might just stay as it is. There's something to be said about not worrying where the first ding will come from on a newly restored car!

I don't believe the list of found monocoques has changed since being listed in the Manx Mania back in 2006 (except I added my name). As Nelson Sparks and Chris Lewis have pointed out to me, the numbers assigned to the cars are not necessarily accurate. Some of the assignments ARE 100% correct, like in the case of the first three (they all have a different under-the-hood area where the steering shaft crosses through the trunk to the sterring box). The rest are ordered based on when they were found and/or Bruce's recollection of the order in which he built them. For now, I just plugged my name in the number 9 slot:

#1 - Bruce Meyers - Old Red
#2 – Still missing (The yellow one pictured on Hot Rod’s cover)
#3 – Perry Margouleff (Yellow)
#4 – Jacky Morel – Quatro restored and in France (Red)
#5 – Ted Trevor – in the Orange County dump (Purple)
#6 – Richard Brown – unrestored and in Louisiana (Tangerine Red or Red?)
#7 – Chris Lewis – (Royal Blue)
#8 – Mark Geragos – unrestored, and in Pasadena, California
#9 - Scott Drolet - Jack Jensen's - unrestored and in California (Tangerine Red)
#10 - still missing
#11 - still missing
#12 - still missing

Gary, Thank you. Yes, I just had my blue manx verified, and I'll be asking Bruce and Winnie to certify this one as well. Bruce has seen pictures of it, but hasn't seen it in person yet.
Last edited by Scott-Drolet on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vwmanx

Post by vwmanx »

Scott, Actually the first 5 are known exactly. The first four had different license plate areas so that is another way to tell the first cars. Additionally, Quattro had the rear VW torsion assembly in it but no torsion bars. The air lift bags supplied all of the suspension support in the back.
And of course, the Pikes Peak car was number 5. After that, they are all pretty similar cars. 
The Geragos car and yours are "known" cars. The Geragos monocoque has all Porsche drivetrain and that car is remembered by Bruce. Yours was the Jensen manx..so again..known. The other monocoques are kind of unknowns as to where they went to and who bought them. When I found mine, Bruce was positive that it had been repainted as he did not remember ever making a blue one.The test was what the color of the interior of the fuel tank was. in my case, it was blue.

Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

One other thing I meant to mention - I went to the Auto Club today to transfer ownership, not knowing what to expect. In California. if a car drops out of the DMV system because it has not been registered for many years, you run the risk of them titling the car as a current model year, regardless of the year the car was built. That would mean I could possibly lose the buggy's current smog-exempt status. It would also need to be inspected to verify the VIN number matches the title. If this happens (and it did on the last Corvair Burro I purchased, which became a 2012 Corvair in the DMV's eyes!?), you need to apply for one of the 500 exempt titles the DMV issues each year and take the car to the California BAR (Bureau of Automotive repair) for testing and model year assignment. I went through all this with my Burro, which became a 1963 model via that process. While it all turned out OK in the end,  it's a time consuming and nerve-wracking process to go through. At any time they can deem that your car will need to pass a bi-annual smog test to keep your registration current..

Well, good news and bad news today. Although the car has not been registered with the DMV in 31 years, it is still in the DMV system. This is good because I keep the plates, the SPCN title and no inspection is required. The bad news is, that since the car is still in the system and has not been registered as a non-operating vehicle for those 31 years, there are back registration fees plus penalties that must be paid to bring the registration current before transferring ownership.  Ugh!  Sometimes the DMV will waive the penalties (AAA tried to get $300 in penatlties reduced through the DMV. The DMV said that if I came in they might agree to do so). However, having been involved with the DMV in numerous transactions, I know things can appear to be going swimmingly before abruptly turning against you!  The easy answer was, that if I paid the penalties and fees, the transfer would move forward without DMV involvement . . . so, that's what I did.  It cost me $300- more than it would have had the registration been up to date, but it was worth it to me to just think of it as a no-inspection tax.   This car is too special to get tied up in California red tape.
Last edited by Scott-Drolet on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
Surf58

Post by Surf58 »

Congratulations Scott... what a great piece of Manx history to own. Also that was $300 very well spent.

Randy
Randy
MC#1404
1966 Meyers Manx #102
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Great information Chris. I'm still very much a novice when it comes to monocoques and gladly defer to you and Nelson's knowledge.  Thank you for setting the record straight!
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Scott, You need to tell them its a collector vehicle and you are a collector. Here is the actual vehicle code and verbiage on the back fee exemption.
Vehicle code 4604

certification = PNO

(a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (d), prior to
the expiration of the registration of a vehicle, if that
registration is not to be renewed prior to its expiration, the owner
of the vehicle shall file, under penalty of perjury, a certification
that the vehicle will not be operated, moved, or left standing upon a
highway without first making an application for registration of the
vehicle, including full payment of all fees. The certification is
valid until the vehicle's registration is renewed pursuant to
subdivision (c).
(b) Each certification filed pursuant to subdivision (a) shall be
accompanied by a filing fee of fifteen dollars ($15).
(c) (1) An application for renewal of registration, except when
accompanied by an application for transfer of title to, or an
interest in, the vehicle, shall be submitted to the department with
payment of the required fees for the current registration year and
without penalty for delinquent payment of fees imposed under this
code or under Part 5 (commencing with Section 10701) of Division 2 of
the Revenue and Taxation Code if the department receives the
application prior to or on the date the vehicle is first operated,
moved, or left standing upon a highway during the current
registration year and the certification required pursuant to
subdivision (a) was timely filed with the department.
(2) If an application for renewal of registration is accompanied
by an application for transfer of title, that application may be made
without incurring a penalty for delinquent payment of fees not later
than 20 days after the date the vehicle is first operated, moved, or
left standing on a highway if a certification pursuant to
subdivision (a) was timely filed with the department.
(d) A certification is not required to be filed pursuant to
subdivision (a) for one or more of the following:

(1) A vehicle on which the registration expires while being held
as inventory by a dealer or lessor-retailer or while being held
pending a lien sale by the keeper of a garage or operator of a towing
service.
(2) A vehicle registered pursuant to Article 4 (commencing with
Section 8050) of Chapter 4 of Division 3.
(3) A vehicle described in Section 5004, 5004.5, or 5051, as
provided in Section 4604.2. However, the registered owner may file a
certificate of nonoperation in lieu of the certification specified in
subdivision (a).
(4) A vehicle re
gistered pursuant to Article 5 (commencing with
Section 9700) of Chapter 6 if the registered owner has complied with
subdivision (c) of Section 9706.
(e) Notwithstanding Section 670, for purposes of this section, a
"vehicle" is a device by which a person or property may be propelled,
moved, or driven upon a highway having intact and assembled its
major component parts including, but not limited to, the frame or
chassis, cowl, and floor pan or, in the case of a trailer, the frame
and wheels or, in the case of a motorcycle, the frame, front fork,
and engine. For purposes of this section, "vehicle" does not include
a device moved exclusively by human power, a device used exclusively
upon stationary rails or tracks, or a motorized wheelchair.

5051 collector

(a) "Collector" is the owner of one or more vehicles described in
Section 5004 or of one or more special interest vehicles, as defined
in this article, who collects, purchases, acquires, trades, or
disposes of the vehicle, or parts thereof, for his or her own use, in
order to preserve, restore, and maintain the vehicle for hobby or
historical purposes.
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Thanks Nelson!  I didn't know about that exemption, but I'll sure use it moving forward.
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Chris, when you said, "The Geragos car and yours are "known" cars. The Geragos monocoque has all Porsche drivetrain and that car is remembered by Bruce. The other monocoques are kind of unknowns as to where they went to and who bought them".I wonder if Bruce might actually have known what happened to Neal Allen's monocoque but it may have slipped his mind. Neal went with him to Baja at least twice and it appears something may have happened to it that involved the company building a new floorpan Manx and using its registration.    
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Scott, Maybe you've already done it but I suggest that you contact the Jensen family and see if there is any chance that they have any old pictures of your Manx in their family album. If they do, there's a good chance the original license plate is visible. BTW, this year California is going to reproduce new black and yellow plates with the number of your choice, with the original SAM 123 pattern. Basically you could get an official copy of the original number and plate.     
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

CairoManx wrote: Scott, Maybe you've already done it but I suggest that you contact the Jensen family and see if there is any chance that they have any old pictures of your Manx in their family album. If they do, there's a good chance the original license plate is visible. BTW, this year California is going to reproduce new black and yellow plates with the number of your choice, with the original SAM 123 pattern. Basically you could get an official copy of the original number and plate.     
Hi Nelson, I've asked the Jensens and have my fingers crossed that something comes up.  I have three vintage style plates prepaid at the DMV in the vintage format for my Manx and two Burros. At least one of the three styles must receive 7,500 orders before January 1, 2015 in order for the plates to move forward. Leading that charge right now are the yellow letter on black background plates wtih 5,720 plates pre-ordered.  If everybody out there hasn't ordered yet . . please do so we get the number over the minimum. You can even get personalized plates in the vintage scheme if you have a personal plate you'd like to keep!.  Thanks for the reminder Nelson, I'll order one for this car too.  I'll wait a bit first to see if the original plate turns up from the jensens.

Scott Drolet
MC Vice President