Meyers Manx Kick-Out

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
pilotricky

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by pilotricky »

Who all is building Kick-Outs, Traditional and SS?  Let's hear how the build is going, and see some photos!  Also, does anyone who how many Kick-Out kits have been made so far?
jsturtlebuggy

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Rick,

I know you want to talk to me but I have been very busy with other things going on in life.

So far I know of only 3 Kick Outs done on the west coast. No idea of how many Denmat has built or sold back east.

What ever you do, store the body out of the weather and on something flat as in any fiberglass part it can warp and take a set and can be difficult to get it back to original shape.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
jsturtlebuggy

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Number 26 was in Bruce's shop last week. It is a SS model.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
manxter26

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by manxter26 »

Ok Joseph you scared me with that one.  I've had a deposit on #26 and hadn't given Winnie any final decisions so I was hoping that my number wasn't being built.  What they have in the shop is #23, so I am getting close.  I think the economy has people a little nervous.

Jay
jsturtlebuggy

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Sorry Jay. I sometimes have problems with numbers. I blame it on living in a right handed world and being left handed.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
pilotricky

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by pilotricky »

I have number 22 here in Oregon City, Oregon.  Metalflake Orange....like Joe's.

Rick
vincent9993

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by vincent9993 »

Is anyone able to provide me with measurements of the body's mounting points for the SS. I have one on order and I would like to shorten my pan this week-end. All I need is the front to back of where the body will bolt to the pan.

Thanks.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
jsturtlebuggy

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Vincent,

I don't have the demensions you want without taking a sidepod off. I can tell you that in the instruction manual it says to cut pan 14 1/2in instead of the older measurement of 14 1/4in.

My Kick Out is on the pan my Dad cut to the 14 1/4in in 1970. I was able to make it work, but it would have been better with that extra 1/4in removed.

To get the air filters to clear the rear of the body on Weber IDF carbs, I had to use Gene Berg #581A manifolds. They are the shortest and narrowest ones I could find.

Before I found the Berg manifolds, the ones I was using would fit with using a 1 3/4in air filter element and had to remove the velocity stacks.

Now able to use 3 1/2in tall and velocity stacks. It is close, I can put a finger between the body and air cleaner top.

That 1/4in will make the engine closer to the front and give more clearance in the rear.

There are some that use manifolds for type III that are shorter, but I have heard to use a CSP linkage the cylinder head tins have to be clearanced.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
vincent9993

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by vincent9993 »

Thanks for that, I'll go ahead and do 14-1/2.  As for getting the IDF air filter, I'm prepared to do what I had to do on my Berrien:  Made a custom round filter base and top...

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
KickOut33

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by KickOut33 »

I just took delivery of Manx Kickout #33

http://i467.photobucket.c...s/rr31/IXLR8SVO/null.jpg
Last edited by KickOut33 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meyers Manx original
Meyers Manx KickOut
Meyers Manx SR2
jsturtlebuggy

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Good to hear about another Kick Out being built.  Hopefully will see more of them at the runs.
Here is mine in front and Tom's in the rear at Bugorama last weekend.  Tom's #5 won 1st and mine #12 took 2nd place. Tom's is a show car that never gets dirty.

I towed mine out with my Manxter Dual Sport to the show.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Manx-Australia

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by Manx-Australia »

manxter26 wrote:Ok Joseph you scared me with that one.  I've had a deposit on #26 and hadn't given Winnie any final decisions so I was hoping that my number wasn't being built.  What they have in the shop is #23, so I am getting close.  I think the economy has people a little nervous.

Jay
Hey Jay are you still getting #26 ? I hear 26 and 27 are about to pop out and head over seas ??

Tom-Kathleen

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

I have Kick-Out SS # 16 which is having a very slow build because of other Manx vehicles in "the fleet".  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
pilotricky

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by pilotricky »

Hi all. I need to know the total overall length of a Meyers Manx Kick-Out buggy....from the front of the bumper to the end of the rear bumper...using the Manxter type front and rear bumpers. I do not have access to checking it on my car at this stage of the build, and some of the parts are not accessible right now.   the reason I need to know the total length is because I am in the process of modifying what USED TO be a garage to make more room, (make the room longer), to fit the Kick-Out to complete building it, and a place to keep in when completed. I have very limited space to work with, what I mean is that I need to make the "room" long enough to fit the completed Kick-Out inside, but still leave enough space outside to keep the Prius parked without sticking out into the street...a very fine line here...that is why I need to know the length, so I can make it just long enough for the Kick-Out...period. There is no room to spare outside either, otherwise I would just make it several feet longer, but I don't have that option...it needs to be just long enough to fit the Kick-Out...and no more.  The structure I have to work with a welded steel, so, once I have the "dimension/length" set...it will not be possible to change it later...so I have to get it the right length the first time., (how many people weld on their HOUSE?   :).  Thanks for any help you can be on this.  Rick
vincent9993

Meyers Manx Kick-Out

Post by vincent9993 »

Hi Rick, I can measure our SS but it has the nurf bars in front (not the Manxter) It has the Manxter rear bumper. I'll have access to the buggy tomorrow. Let me know if that works.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips