My Son's New Buggy

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
FulsGld

My Son's New Buggy

Post by FulsGld »

Hey All;

My son found a buggy up here. It's a Manx with the Myers tag. He would like to purchase a set of badges for it. What will he have to do in order to so this? Since it has the Myers tag will it have to be authenticated (he's really not interested in spending the $125 for the authentication service since it already has the tag indicating it's a Manx)? Thanks for any info...

Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
FulsGld

My Son's New Buggy

Post by FulsGld »

DIESELDOOG wrote:
I would refer this matter to Winnie at Meyers Manx, Inc.  760-749-6321.  She has the badges for sale, owns the Manx Registry, and decides who has an authentic Manx.  Sooner or later you will need to go thru her, anyway.
Hey;

Thanks for the info, but I'm hoping that someone who has actually gone through the process with a similar situation will pop up and give me some information.
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
Tom-Kathleen

My Son's New Buggy

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Send Winnie pictures of the car from all corners, the dash and the tubes under the fenders.  The tag will pretty much seal the deal.  She will authenticate the car, and then you can get new badges.  I suggest the billet ones because they can be attached on the backside with bolts or studs.  We recently got a set for our '68 Manx.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
FulsGld

My Son's New Buggy

Post by FulsGld »

Tom Kathleen wrote:Send Winnie pictures of the car from all corners, the dash and the tubes under the fenders.  The tag will pretty much seal the deal.  She will authenticate the car, and then you can get new badges.  I suggest the billet ones because they can be attached on the backside with bolts or studs.  We recently got a set for our '68 Manx.  Tom
Hey Tom;

Thanks for the info. I'm still hoping that someone here will popup and let me know what they had happen in a similar situation. Also, did all Manxs have the tubes? I thought that some of the early ones didn't have them. Just wondering.

Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
manxdavid

My Son's New Buggy

Post by manxdavid »

Those four didgit serial numbers were generally issued to Manx 2 kits moulded after Bruce left the company. There was every chance it was moulded without tubes under the sides and it could well have been sold with just a front hood decal as the Manx 2 was an economy model. Some were also sent out with Manx SR hood badges (I think they were using up left-over stock for a time).

Winnie sells the Manx 2 stickers.

http://www.meyersmanx.com/mmstore/store-decalmanx2.shtml

Could you post some more photos of it? Dashboard, front badge area, rear seat area etc?

As your son's Manx has its tag I'm guessing Winnie would sell him the plastic badges for $85. I got a new pair for my already tagged Manx this way (I just sent her a $100 bill to cover the shipping etc. as well).
Last edited by manxdavid on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
FulsGld

My Son's New Buggy

Post by FulsGld »

Hey David;

Thanks for the GREAT information. Just what I was looking for. It doesn't have the shipping tubes and I believe it is a Manx-2 as it doesn't have the battery well or the spare tire well. I'll have my son get in touch with Mrs Myers to see what she would like to do. Here's some more pictures. I'm in the middle of rewiring it. We need to have it back together by Thursday night.

The Front...

The Rear...

The Hump...

No Shipping Tubes...

In the Middle of Wiring it...

The Son Driving His Buggy...
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
manxdavid

My Son's New Buggy

Post by manxdavid »

TBH there's not much in the way of rear bodywork to mount a badge on, I'd go with the $5 sticker but then I'm just cheapImage.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
CairoManx

My Son's New Buggy

Post by CairoManx »

If it DOESN'T have the battery or spare tire wells, then its a plain Manx 2. Some of the Manx 2s came without the reinforcing tubes. Dash 2 (-2) Manxes had the Manx 2 hood and dash and the wells and had a serial number tag that ended -2.

If it has a serial number tag it really doesn't need to be authenticated, but it should at least be added to the registry. It probably originally had a sticker on the nose that said Manx 2. If you want one of the super nice billet emblems I think you will have to have it officially authenticated. You should pull a mold of the rear of your own Manx to replace the area that was cut of your son's.

None of the Manxes made from 1964 to January 1968 had serial number tags. I believe it was about 1400 of them, but that's just my opinion.
Last edited by CairoManx on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FulsGld

My Son's New Buggy

Post by FulsGld »

Hey CairoManx;

Thanks for the updated information. I think it's a Manx-2. I'll pass this info on to my son and see if he wants to continue with any authentication hoops and expenses. I think he was just looking to see about getting a badge for the front, but I have 2 sets of badges in my shop (one for the ManxVair and the other for the Turista) and he can have one of them if he wants as I'm not going to use them on either of my buggys. I like the "replace the area that's missing" idea as I know where that mold is located. I tried to trade him a new body with new windshield and new pods but he wasn't having anything to do with that. He likes the idea of having a buggy with that tag.
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
CairoManx

My Son's New Buggy

Post by CairoManx »

I thought you said it doesn't have the battery and spare tire well? Its only a -2 if it has the wells and has -2 at the end of its serial number.

It doesn't have the wells or -2 on the tag. Its a Manx 2, not a -2.

You don't need a complete body mold to replace the missing area. You just apply some mold release wax to the area of your other body that you want to copy then lay up fiberglass on it. When it cures you take that new piece off and put it over the area that's missing on your son's body and build up glass from the underside. The body you are repairing needs to be off the chassis and upside down. Here's a good thread that shows how its done.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=500792
Last edited by CairoManx on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manxdavid

My Son's New Buggy

Post by manxdavid »

I'm sure that Vince/surfnc could mould you a repair panel if you needed one. I belive he's done various ones for other folks.