My first Manx type Dune Buggy a Deal of a Lifetime in Miami

If you have a photos of your buggy then show off your stuff.
VW Aircooled Society

Re: My first Manx type Dune Buggy a Deal of a Lifetime in Mi

Post by VW Aircooled Society »

I want to share something that i think should be a sticky.

Engine Paint,, what paint is best for your motor and keeping it cool

Here is the link in case you would rather read it later

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... t.html?m=1

Here is a suggestion for cleaning the block first:

After Scrubbing it with Gasoline

Use Easy off Over Cleaner

then give it a bath in ZEP (Degreaser)

VW - Engine Paint
Engine Paint

In the several years since it was posted my article on painting VW engines has probably produced more mail than any of the other two hundred or so other articles.

That tells me I didn’t do a very good job.

The basic reason for painting your engine to begin with is to protect it from rust and corrosion. But since all paints serve as insulators to some degree, you want to pick a paint that, ideally, will help your engine run as cool as possible.

Within the range of temperatures we’re concerned with, which is basically the maximum range of our oil temperatures . . . say, 400 degrees Fahrenheit as the max . . . a thin coat of flat-black paint will enhance the heat-flow... from surfaces which are in contact with the oil. That means, the valve covers, push-rod tubes, cylinders, generator tower, crankcase (*) and sump-plate.

The physics of this heat-flow enhancement can get a little hairy but they generally fall-in with the reasoning Jazz laid out in his message. Key factors are that the black surface must be thin . . . having to do with the wavelength of the heat-energy being transmitted . . . and must be intimately bonded to the heated surface, the metal to which the paint is applied, and that the paint not contain clay, metallic particles or other substances that act as insulators. In plain language, do not use the so-called ‘high-temperature’ paints, firstly because we aren’t dealing with high temperatures, and finally because such paints act as insulators.

The (*) has to do with aluminum vs magnesium alloy. Paint doesn’t like to stick to aluminum unless the surface has been chemically etched. Since this isn’t practical with the Type IV crankcase, I don’t recommend that it be painted, which is why I specifically mentioned ‘magnesium-alloy’ when talking about painting crankcases. Magnesium is much more chemically reactive than aluminum . . . it is, in effect, ‘self-etching’ (unless passivated) . . . and gains far more benefit from the corrosion-protective qualities of a layer of paint than does aluminum. So paint your early-style crankcase but don’t worry about it if you have a Type IV. (I feel bound to mention that there are such things as self-etching paint intended specifically for aluminum. Most of these are formulated for the aviation industry, are difficult to find except from aviation-oriented suppliers and are expensive. I think such things are beyond the scope of articles directed toward the general population of Volkswagen owners.)

With regard to the aluminum heads, which I also do not recommend be painted, the problem has more to do with the temperatures encountered near the exhaust stacks, which is so high it will destroy all common forms of flat-black paint. There are ways to blacken aluminum and thereby enhance it’s thermal radiation properties . . . you can see examples of this on many motorcycles . . . but the process is beyond the means of the typical Volkswagen owner.

Then we get to the ‘All Black Engine’ confusion.

I trod upon many a toe when I said that folks who chromed their engines hadn’t a clue. That particular thread got its start with regard to the benefits . . .meaning trophies to be won at car-shows . . . of polishing the crankcase.

A polished crankcase, along with chrome valve covers, push-rod tubes, generator tower and sump-plate cause a VW engine to run so hot you wouldn’t believe it . . . the thing literally melts down.

Of course, if you live in Lapland, this may be exactly what you want, which is why Volkswagen offered chrome valve covers and push-rod tubes and sump-plates and split bearings . . .all as part of their ‘high-latitude’ package, intended to keep their air-cooled twirler warm and working in a sub-zero climate.

See the problem here?
If Volkswagen themselves offered such things . . . and there were part-numbers that would yield-up marvelously well-chromed parts . . .then obviously the things had to be good for the engine, right? Speaking from my perspective in sunny southern Cal, I said ‘No,’ loud and clear. Yet there were those pesky VW part-numbers... Conventional Wisdom wins again.

The truth is, with regard to any part of your engine not in contact with hot oil, you may paint it . . . or chrome it . . . any color you wish. In the case of your shrouding, tin-ware and blower housing, the finish . . . paint, chrome or what-have-you . . . is there only to protect the metal. These metal parts are not a factor in the transfer of heat via radiation. The metal is there to contain the envelope of cooling air. I realize the metal will get hot through both conduction and radiation absorption but the quantity of that heat is minuscule when compared to that being radiated by those parts of the engine in contact with the oil. Indeed, this perception of heat is subjective. When the engine is running and the car is moving, the shrouding and tin-ware is usually only slightly warmer than the ambient air temperature. It is only when the vehicle is brought to a halt and the engine shut off that any significant quantity of heat can be absorbed by the tin-ware. The subjective part is the fact that you can not put your hand on the tin-ware when roaring down the highway at sixty mph... but you can when the vehicle has stopped... by which time the tin-ware feels hot to the touch. And Conventional Wisdom wins again.

Want to polish your crankcase? Chrome your valve covers? Go right ahead. But don’t plan on driving the vehicle.
Products Manager @ VW Aircooled Society
Innovative Products: http://www.VWAircooledSociety.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'64 Manx Classic Dune Buggy
'67 Split Window Bus
'66 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug
'69 Bay Window Weekender Bus
VW Aircooled Society

I have an original Meyer's Manx Dash so I thought of painting it to match the exterior paint on my buggy.. but when i asked a couple of guys in the Manx Dune buggy forums they suggested black so i sanded it , prep cleaned and painted with Rust Oleum Satin black paint.. it came out great !!!

I have decided that i want to go with a Candy Apple 3 stage paint on the exterior of the buggy...
House of Kolors Candy Apple Red so it can match the wheels
And these are the wheels that i am going to use... it has a Candy Apple Bead ring that is powdercoated over Aluminum so the candy color on the body has to go over silver base paint.

Now in 2018, I made a change in wheels...
I decided to go with Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels

15 X 4 Front, 2.25 BS with 165/70/15 Kumho Tires

15 X 10 Rear, 4.50 BS with 295/50/15 Kumho Tires
Innovative Products: http://www.VWAircooledSociety.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'67 Split Window Bus
VW Aircooled Society

I took the block to get Aligned Bored to 2nd Cut or 20 thousandths

Here is a shot of Enrique from The Wizards doing his thing to Align Bore my case
'67 Split Window Bus
VW Aircooled Society

I wet sanded these used Ribbed Aluminum Valve Covers and then buffed them with green paste stick, Then finished off to a shine with a microfiber cloth.
'67 Split Window Bus
VW Aircooled Society

I made this Rotisserie out of two HFT engine stands but the ends were made by Fab Shop Lawrence Sanborn of Arkansas

You can watch the video or the pics below:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... -TYe0JnCHI[/youtube]

'67 Split Window Bus
VW Aircooled Society

My 1641cc motor is being built by Raul Arrese Custom Fabrication & Performance of Miami...
New everything.. case was Aligned Bored by The Wizards
New 87mm Piston & Cyl
New Connecting Rods
New Camshaft
New Crank
New Lifters
New Case Hardware complete
New CB Performance Full Flow Oil Pump
New Fuel Pump
New Electronic Dizzy
New Bearings: Dual thrust cam bearings, Crank bearings, Rod bearings
New Lightened flywheel
New Gland nut
New Seals
New New New

Here you can see some of his work:
https://www.facebook.com/Raul-Arrese-cu ... 08/photos/

Raul built the following motor for his 1959 Bug

Here is a preliminary view of the motor... the Chrome crank pulley is coming off... Anyone interested in buying it.. this is the original german crank pulley chromed.. this is not EMPI

Here i go jumping around again

The previous owner butchered the fan shroud and made throttle tube holes too close to the stock oil cooler so i was forced to make a 3rd hole and make a plate to cover it.
Now to add the finishing touch.. after all its a Manx so why not do it
'67 Split Window Bus
VW Aircooled Society

I changed from a Solex 34 PICT Carb to a single Italian Weber 40 IDF
I polished the manifold because it looked too dull.. then i clear coated it with high heat ceramic clear coating

Now to get rid of the ugly EMPI raised logo on the manifold.. so i used my bench grinder and had a small aluminum plate made with the Manx logo

I posted a Poll on Facebook Manx Club group on which bolts to use on the fan shroud and #2 button head won..
M6 x 16 Button heads

Some more pics of the motor that was built by Raul Arrese and he checked my weber carb

The End Castings were Ceramic Silver Powdercoated at Bullseye Powdercoating

#bullseyepowdercoating

I polished the Weber Carb velocity stacks and you can see the motor come together.. i also removed the stock mechanical fuel pump and blocked off with a billet fuel pump block off plate.
'67 Split Window Bus
VW Aircooled Society

Now to jump around again unto something else for the time being...

This buggy sat outside for so long that the tubes inside the tunnel rotted out so now I have to replace the 5/8" Clutch cable tube,5/16" Stainless Steel throttle cable tube, and 1/4" Stainless Steel fuel line.. so here goes nothing

Here is a diagram that I used as a reference and I sought assistance from Nate Barrett of Turnkey Manx in Cali.

This is how is supposed to look when i am done...

I used 5/8" Steel tube and had to use my air die grinder to make it fit in line with the clutch cable.

I welded the rear of the clutch cable tube

The 5/16" Stainless Steel accelerator/throttletle tube came out great too.

Here is a video of the work that i did on the clutch cable and throttle cable tubes..
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnKrqqm-T2E[/youtube]
'67 Split Window Bus
VW Aircooled Society

Chronological sequence

Measured the distance from the Shift lever cutout to the edge of the Frame head and I got 32.5"
I made all the markings and used the Sawzall to cut the bad rusty frame head off:

I secured the sides with two visegrips one for each side and made my first weld on top to secure it.

Marking the yellow tape as to where the plug welds will go.

Went to town on fusing the replacement frame head and the original tunnel using my HFT Flux Wire Welder... it's a bit messy but I know this welder and not used to the Eastwood MIG135 Welder yet.

Now to weld the Napoleon Hat Section in:

Now to cover the underside where it meets the tunnel
'67 Split Window Bus
VW Aircooled Society

Well it has been about 10 months since the last time i posted.. I moved to Colombia in June 2017 and have been there ever since... I love it there.. but i did do so some work to my buggy before i left and here it is.. Weld the frame head and the floor pans.

I had to line up the body to see if it would mate up just fine but it seems that i am a bit off so lets move the Napoleon Hat section just a tad more.

All lined up now...

Now to tackle the floor pans
'67 Split Window Bus
VW Aircooled Society

I asked for help from the Facebook Group Page "Manx Club"
and I was provided with some diagrams and where to make my cuts on the pans..

That cut us way to difficult to do...Yeah it works fine and some will argue its stronger....if you want to spend extra hours doing precision cuts....

Second option is type of cut below.... All straight no zig -zags.... and lay a 2-3 inch section of tunnel material over "cut" and strap it together forming double layer (overlap) at cut and it will last forever...

But any cuts you do be sure to break loose throttle and clutch tubes at rear so they stay intact (to be cut to length later) when you slide rear section forward... And do not make cut so deep you go through clutch, and gas and E. brake tubes, the sawsall with 6 inch blade is not the tool, use 4.5 inch angle grinder and cutting wheel and only let wheel in about a 1/2 inch and just go along the lines... Also special attention to emergency brake tubes....I usually cut them at about 6 inches long from rear cut after upper tunnel portion is removed, so the ends (cut to length) can be reinserted into EB bracket just a it was original....

Also If new to cutting pan, you may want to look at a few youtube videos, many good and bad things in videos, and I do not recommend any one as there is always a lot of poorly done things on you tube (these people did it once and are now experts), BUT you may get idea what is inside tunnel and be some familiar with process....

Dale

I went a different route:
The tunnel work was already done by the Previous Owner... I only have to tackle the floor pan halve.. the Right side is already in.. just need to do the Left side or Drivers side...

Here are pics of what was done on the passenger side floor pan.

*** NEWS ALERT !!! ***
I had orginally intended this to be a LHD buggy so I thought since i am a big guy and a little heavy then the Orange thicker gauge HD floor pan panel would be ideal since i had it left over.
Now it is going to be an RHD[Napoleony
So i will have to cut the napoleon hat section and transfer everything to the other side:

I cut too much... oh well... now i have to fill
'67 Split Window Bus
VW Aircooled Society

Made the conversion from LHD to RHD...
I bought the RHD pedal assembly with Pitman arm from Satomi Ito in Japan off The Samba.. this one is from a '66 and later beetle and i should have bought the '65 and earlier since the pedals are a bit closer together like the brake pedal closer to the clutch pedal.

So i had to cut the Napoleon Hat Section... I did not do this portion.. i took it to a professional.

'67 Split Window Bus
VW Aircooled Society

Now let's jump again on something else for a while...
I didnt like the old roll bar that came with the buggy.. its not aesthetically pleasing to me so i bought one from a fella in Vegas that has owned one for about 50+ years.
so here are the pics:

OLD:

NEW:

I want to attach some TABS to the top for a more secure fit just like Bruce Meyers made his roll bars
so check this out
I used a flat table as my positioning guide... not a scientist but it worked.

Now let me present it on the body to see how it came out:

I took it to get Superchrome powdercoating.. i wanted it to look as close to Aluminum as possible.. i didnt want a chrome rollbar.
'67 Split Window Bus
VW Aircooled Society

Now let's jump again
I have always liked seats from a 2002 Hyundai Tiburon.. the same seats i had in my 1969 Bay window bus.

I paid $200.00 for these at a Salvage yard and another $100.00 for the rear seats that had to be modified by our Auto upholstery go-to guy

These are to hold the rear seats down while no one is sitting on them even though no one actually will fit back there ... who knows a friend of mine Bob suggested i not even have, for now,ats so for now they will be there and later i will do something else.
'67 Split Window Bus
VW Aircooled Society

Well.. I have not posted for a good long while because I have been busy traveling and also designing and fabricating some new items for ou buggy's

I sold the seats and opted for a different set which are now 1990 to 1996 Nissan 300ZX Seats.. they looked ugly when i first bought them but now i have since reupholstered them myself.. they turned out great.

OLD SEATS

NEW 300ZX SEATS

I bought factory replacement covers from Ridies.com and bought a Hog Ring Plier and Hog Rings... and did the upholstery myself... i was tired but i got it done..

Here i am working it.. the company for $50.00 more i was able to get the MM logo embroidered which was a nice added plus.

There you have it the finished product.. i recommend doing this on a warm day and sunlight so it can soften the leather look material and be user to work and pull into place.

Here is the Before and After... nice job.. je je

'67 Split Window Bus