My new Manx

If you have a photos of your buggy then show off your stuff.
cvoharley

My new Manx

Post by cvoharley »

I purchased this from a very nice gentleman in Ohio and had it shipped down to FL.

Many questions to ask, many lessons to learn. I've solved the first mystery (where to put the fuel) and the rest will just have to wait while we put miles on her.
Manx Club Member # 4697
cvoharley

Re: My new Manx

Post by cvoharley »

I guess one of my first questions is about the windshield. It would appear that mine is on backwards with the channel facing the rear. I ask because one of the first things I'd like to do is but a Bimini top on. I'd rather not have to drill a whole bunch of snaps into the frame. Is it an easy procedure to just unbolt the frame and change the mirrors? I know nothing is that simple. Thx
Manx Club Member # 4697
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

cvoharley wrote:I guess one of my first questions is about the windshield. It would appear that mine is on backwards with the channel facing the rear. I ask because one of the first things I'd like to do is but a Bimini top on. I'd rather not have to drill a whole bunch of snaps into the frame. Is it an easy procedure to just unbolt the frame and change the mirrors? I know nothing is that simple. Thx
Typically it is easy to reverse the direction of the windshield. Your pictures are too small to see the detail but the windshields are normally attached to the body by "hidden" bolts (many of us use carriage bolts). The inside edge of the windshield should have a channel that slides over the top of the bolt head. It should be as simple as loosening the nuts inside the tub, lifting the windshield straight up, rotate the windshield 180 degrees on it's axis, and then sliding it back down over the bolt heads. A couple of hints: have a second person help you lift it off evenly, and if you have a front hoop (roll bar) near the windshield ensure you remove your rear view mirror before lifting the windshield out - I've broken mine off twice :shifty:

Welcome to madness. If you haven't joined already, consider joining the Manx Club. Lots of fun to be had. http://www.manxclub.com/MembershipApplication.htm

Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
ManxBug

Post by ManxBug »

If your rear view mirror is glued to the windshield, you can carefully remove and reverse the glass too. It should slide out the bottom after you remove the bottom of the aluminium frame.
cvoharley

Post by cvoharley »

Thank you for the insight. 1st, yes, I have joined the Manx Club & dues were paid. I've sent a letter to Mrs. Manx regarding an updated certificate in my name, the body has already been authenticated.

I am trrying to figure out why the windshield was put on the way it was. The channel is clearly towards the interior of the vehicle. It appears that the glass was put in to be in the "forward" position furthest from the driver. If the frame was "flipped" the glass and rear view mirror (provided it hadn't broke by this point :D ) would have to be changed. The only reason for attempting this is to have a mounting point for a Bimini top. I'd rather not have to have snaps along the frame. Does anyone else agree? Or am I putting way too much effort into this thought process?
TIA

Manx Club Member # 4697
cvoharley

Post by cvoharley »

A couple more shots of the windshield frame:

Manx Club Member # 4697
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Most likely the glass in the frame is fine. Just leave it (that's the way most of them are). The only thing you have to do is flip the W/S around. The hardest part will be getting a wrench around the nut on the underside of the dash. One person will be on their back looking under the dash and holding the wrench on the nut while the person outside undoes the bolt. We just did this on a friend's new buggy. Because the bottom seal was a little old and stiff, we flipped it around on the W/S so it would go back to the body in the same position. Took all of about half an hour. :mrgreen:
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

The process is pretty simple. Now I can see your windshield is attached with bolts through the frame and body (there aren't, or most like not, hidden bolts under the windshield frame on the sides). The only issue I see you having is the decal on the windshield will need to be removed or you're going to look like an ambulance (with reverse writing so someone can read the words in their rear view mirror). The other thing is your rear view mirror will need to be removed and reattached to the other side.

If you are putting a top on the buggy, you "should" rotate the windshield in order to used the channel or your other option is drilling and snaps.

Welcome to buggy ownership. You are taking your first steps to make it your own.
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
cvoharley

Post by cvoharley »

The more I look at my new buggy, I more impressed I am with it. Whoever did the work back in 1972 and forward, really knew what they were doing.

These pictures show the bolts holding the windshield are fastened to a clip on the inside. Should make for an easy removal. Still have to figure out swapping around that rear view mirror. :mrgreen:

Visualize the speakers facing the cabin area. You are looking at the back from under the dash:

I'm hoping it's going to be as easy as it looks!
Manx Club Member # 4697
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

The mirror button can be knocked off with a block of wood and mallet. That is unless someone used epoxy instead of the mirror glue. I was in Dino's shop (Bugshields) several years ago before he passed and he was telling me about the button someone had epoxy on the windshield and when he tried to remove like you would normally it crack the glass.
I had to remove mine before with the block of wood and a mallet. I first use a heat gun on the button to loosen up the mirror glue before trying to knock it off.
The mirror glue is easy to find, even Walmart has it in the automotive section.
One thing I do is draw a outline on the outside of the glass where the button is with a Sharpie.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

It might be less hassle to flip the glass after you have the 4 mounting bolts removed and the windshield.assembly in your hands.
From looking at your pics you will need to remove the driver side outside mirror anyway so once it is gone you have good access to the flathead bolt that secures the bottom aluminum trim. Remove and the corresponding one on the
passenger side. Lay the assembly on a blanket/pad on a table.
You should be able to gently spread the legs just enough to free the glass from the aluminum frame.
While glass is out of the side/top extrusion (leave the bottom aluminum trim in place on the glass) slide the bottom
rubber seal out and reverse it.
Reinstall the glass into the main frame and you're ready to bolt the assembly back into place. No chance of breaking the glass knocking off the mirror mount, didn't lose your stickers or decal.
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
cvoharley

Post by cvoharley »

hillmotorsports wrote:It might be less hassle to flip the glass after you have the 4 mounting bolts removed and the windshield.assembly in your hands.
From looking at your pics you will need to remove the driver side outside mirror anyway so once it is gone you have good access to the flathead bolt that secures the bottom aluminum trim. Remove and the corresponding one on the
passenger side. Lay the assembly on a blanket/pad on a table.
You should be able to gently spread the legs just enough to free the glass from the aluminum frame.
While glass is out of the side/top extrusion (leave the bottom aluminum trim in place on the glass) slide the bottom
rubber seal out and reverse it.
Reinstall the glass into the main frame and you're ready to bolt the assembly back into place. No chance of breaking the glass knocking off the mirror mount, didn't lose your stickers or decal.
I really thought this was going to be so promising! What a great and simple solution. I was excited that I finally found a project that I was goiing to be able to do with little outside help, all on my own. ...Then I talked to the mechanic... He said if I flip the frame, the mounting holes won't align right. You can see in this picture the bolts are not symmetrical and would have to be re-drilled. I'll get better pictures tomorrow. Bummer. Plan B.

Manx Club Member # 4697
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

IMO... your windshield will fit if you turn it around 180*!!! It will just move your whole windshield frame a little bit forward of where it is right now!!!
If it radically changes the angle of the windshield, as its angle should be parallel to the rollbar, then pull the glass out & flip it around & go with the snaps & such!!! OR... contact the Manx Club sponsor "Windshields by Dino" & order a new one, then mount it correctly!!! You can sell the old one to recoup some of your money spent on the new one!!!

NOTE... I just looked at your two original photos & your windshield & the rollbar are not parallel... the top of the windshield is leaning a bit too far back!!! Hopefully you have an original Meyers Manx rollbar & it is mounted properly. Flipping the windshield frame around will bring them back to where they need to be... unless it was mounted the wrong way when it was built!!! Good Luck!!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

I agree with Maniac. The bottom seal will fill what change there might be. The amount of change from one side to the other is minimal. I would just flip it around and try it that way. No need to re-drill, or change much of anything. Flip the glass around if you like so the rearview mirror is on the correct side. If it does not work right, then nothing lost. :)
cvoharley

Post by cvoharley »

I finally got the windshield flipped. Very easy to do with no issues. Spent the morning at the Treasure Coast V Dub show in Stuart, FL.

Manx Club Member # 4697